Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Cleaning up from Firewall Hits

Old
Cleaning up from Firewall Hits - Wed Dec 04, 2002, 12:09 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
I just got hit again with another major firewall security breach. I did not accept the executable file change, but when I went to uninstall the poker software (from a respected pay site), the uninstaller had been deleted. I went into windows explorer and deleted all the files, directories, folders, and shortcuts pertinant to the program. Am I safe to play again after downloading a new version of the software? If not, how can I make sure that any "dirty" files are no longer on my computer?

For Everybody

If you want to play online poker, have a firewall on your computer. Also, do not accept file changes that are not software updates from the pay site. These can be files that send info back to another player from your computer. This bypasses the encryption because your computer's poker software unlocks the encryption for you, so any files sent to relay info from your computer could benefit another player. What I have experienced is that something will go wrong with the program causing it to crash. At that point, you have to accept a file change to your poker software to get back on the site. DO NOT accept it and continue playing. It may be nothing, but why take a chance?

For any techies out there, here is the report from my firewall:

A Major violation that is outgoing on TCP protocol....application changed PartyPoker.exe

Details:

Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 4294530623
Filename: C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
The change was denied by user.

---- Modules changed: 1 ----
C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
---- New modules: 0 ----

Source IP:

0.0.0.0 (like this is any help)

Backtracing turned up nothing when I gave the whois command.

Can anybody help me learn how to clean this stuff out?

Thanks,

Diej

Old
Wed Dec 04, 2002, 12:14 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
Anytime you see IP 000000000, do not accept. All zeroes is your computer.

Old
Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:50 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
Apryll,

So your saying that a 0000 source with an outgoing direction is actually something that is transferring information from your computer to somewhere?

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:40 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I don't know which direction the info is going, and I know little re: online security, but I've been told that IP address 0000000 is your computer, and if such an address comes up on your firewall, deny access.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2002, 08:33 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
I'm done playing online anyway. I cashed out today for so very little profit that it wasn't even worth it. I'll probably never forget how bad it was. Funny thing...I got great and I mean great cards all day. Nothing worked. Sorry for the bad beat lecture, but I've got to get it off of my chest somewhere and maybe it will be hidden in this little post. I write down the hands I'm involved in, so here's the day (if you don't like hearing people complain, you may stop reading here):

Sat down and AQs....flopped 2 pair and someone had a set of 4s
(-25)

Dealt KK and someone raises all in with AQs...I call...you know the rest
(-54)

Dealt KQs (clubs) on the button....someone else has clubs...but it is AJ...so bye-bye money

(-72)

A stone-cold bluff fails...oh well

Dealt AK...full house....beaten by a royal flush
(-83) Yes, I won a hand...but I don't feel like being positive

Dealt KK again....set of 3s wins it

(-99)

next hand....aqs....the real bonehead play of the day
I lost my mind and went all-in with aqs after the flop after raising preflop....no dice...I lose to a flush...this one was really stupid
(-117)

Get dealt KK again and the flop is 987 with 2 hearts....I bet all-in because I sensed that someone was drawing....TT calls me and rivers their straight

(-135)

And, to add insult to injury

I'm in the Big Blind and am dealt 85 and the flop comes 855. I flopped a boat. Next card is a 6. River is a T, making 3 clubs. Looks like a st8 or flush got there...but no worries...I have a boat....nope....I lost again....but 43 on this hand.

That was it...I cashed out and am done with it....I can't handle that type of loss.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com