Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Tournament hand ended up in quads. Comments?

Old
Question
Tournament hand ended up in quads. Comments? - Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
I wonder if I played this one hand wright. Comments?

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to analysis forum* - Fadyen

Hello jmarcelo.sf,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 02:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jmarcelo.sf!

With KJs from UTG, I'm going to open-fold here as it's not a strong enough hand to be playing from this position. If it folded to me in middle/late position, I'd make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, but not from UTG. The only hands with a K that I want to raise to 90 with here are KK or AK.

If I saw the flop and see that I get top two pair, when an opp leads into me for 90 chips, I need to make a standard raise. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With two opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I need to raise by 2/3 pot here (a raise to 280). I don't want to raise to less than this or to call, as I could then be giving the opp the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I do so and lose, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The turn gives me a full house and the opp makes another abnormally small bet. I'm going to raise here again and since there is now only one opp, a standard sizing is 1/2 pot, so I will raise to 413.

On the river with the nuts, when the opp checks to me, I'm going to bet whatever I think the opp will call and this will be based on a read of the opp. If I think they will call 1/3 pot or 1/2 pot or a shove... whatever I think they will call. However, I'm going to err on the smaller side here, as I want the opp to call. I don't want to bet too much so that I get no value for my hand by them folding.

The key here though, is to muck KJs preflop, as it's not a strong enough hand to play from UTG and on hands that I do play, I need to make standard bets and raises.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 04:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Considering the stack that jmarcelo.sf has already accumulated, I would open this hand, even from under the gun. You can't be a big stack bully without playing a few marginal hands, the key is knowing when to let go when the run out isn't so good for your hand.

You aren't going to win a lot of tournaments only playing premiums, they don't happen often enough. I do agree that your sizing was too small, especially pre-flop. Stick to a 3x open until the blinds are bigger.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 03:31 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
This hand had already been analyzed, but I'd like to give my opinion here.

The only huge mistake I see in your play here was opening K-Js utg in the first place. Yes, you're a huge stack with almost 600bb, and you can easily be a bully with that kind of stack, the key to being a bully is choosing your spots carefully - If you think the table's particularly tight, then I would say a raise from the hijack or possibly even middle position could be warranted, but otherwise, it's best to stick to the button and cutoff for these kinds of plays. Position is very key, and it's a lot easier to play in position.

Post-flop, you played well flop and turn. I would have bet a bit larger on the flop, but when we hit 2nd nuts and he donks into us for a small amount again, I'm feeling ecstatic - only pocket Kings beats us, and the chances of him having that are astronomical. Better yet, his constant min-donk-betting signals "I have a mediocre hand yet I think it's still good, and I'm not folding." You continued aggression on the turn was great.

I'm not totally sure about the river when he checks to us, though. While he probably does have lots of K-x hands in his range her that would call wide, I don't know how often they would call an overbet for all of his chips with such a hand (probably more than I'd give credit for XD). If you're certain he'd call a shove, by all means that was a good play. Personally, I would have bet closer to half the pot, just because it would be easier for other hands to call.

Overall, only big mistake was K-Js utg.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com