Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl strange river lead

Old
2nl strange river lead - Wed Jan 22, 2014, 09:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

18/14 F3b 67; 4b 7.1; AF ~3.7; Wtsd 31
1k+ hands
notecaddy: when holding set played agressively 3/3; when holding straight draw played agressively 3/4
Similar to another hand I just posted, second pair IP, this time opted to check then bet the turn.
He represents such a narrow range, TT and air basically, we can exclude 79 from his range I guess, he wouldnt have bet any K himself, ott.
Maybe he's a thinking player and wants to push me of a medium strength hand?

Last edited by Praydk; Wed Jan 22, 2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi pray,

I think we're making it a little harder on ourselves not c-betting the flop as it seems like we cap our range and can't be very strong, and maybe leveling ourselves into thinking he's bluffing now because of it. I don't think we have to worry about that too much though tbh. He had opportunities to bluff the flop and more importantly, the turn, and didn't take them. And he could bluff the river with a bet size of like .50c quite effectively, with no need to risk his entire stack on a large overbet. Seems much more likely to me that he's trying to make up for lost value and hopes this looks bluffy. It's not just TT in his value range here either... 44, 66, 88, KT all make sense given we checked back the flop. Good fold imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
The langolier if he was to cbet the flop would you 2nd barrel the turn or just check down hoping for a cheap showdown?

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 02:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Considering that we suspect he may play draws aggressively, I am not opposed to checking back the turn planning to call all blank rivers, as we can't really play comfortably vs. a check/raise and we do have 2 outs to stack any flopped sets going for a turn c/r as well.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 08:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I think not CBetting the flop is always going to put you in trouble. You've 3Bet preflop so you're advertising your range as being strong.

You can continue to make this story convincing by putting in a decent CBet, with your bluffs, pure value hands and mediocre value hands like this one.

You'll be very easy to play against if you only CBet your big value hands.

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:27 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
I thought this is classical, only better hand will call situation OTF, so check is mandatory. Why isn’t it so? Only reason I can come up with, is that JJ is so weak we deed to turn it to a bluff. This is a bit confusing.

Last edited by braveslice; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:52 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
I thought this is classical, only better hand will call situation OTF, so check is mandatory. Why isn’t it so? Only reason I can come up with, is that JJ is so weak we deed to turn it to a bluff. This is a bit confusing.
I'm confused about cbetting the flop too. Why is it more profitable than checking it?

I'm leaning to check because I think we save money vs Ak,sets and getting at least one street of value from his lower pocket pairs which might be scared of Kxx board if we bet it from beginning.

Ok, if we stab the pot only with big value holdings we are risking of getting exploited right?

But at nl2, does it matter? Since our opponents are braindead most of the time.

Do we assume villain is going to pay us off with worse in this spot, so we bet it right here in order to avoid scare cards which might shut the action down?

Last edited by morduk666; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:56 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
By 3Betting preflop we're saying we have a very strong hand.

By not CBetting the flop, we're essentially giving up and waving the white flag and giving the opponent the green light to start putting pressure on us when we don't know where we stand.

To stop this from happening, you can either check back more of your strong hands so that villains can't just start firing into us randomly because we might still have a strong hand. Or you can CBet wider, including some thin value and bluffs into your range.

Especially in a 3Bet pot, I prefer the latter option.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com