Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Could I have done something different?

Old
Could I have done something different? - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 02:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
This is a hand I played in the premier league very early in the tournament.
I know that sometimes you just gotta shove and hope, but I want to know if there was a different way I should have played this hand

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to analysis forum* - Fadyen

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi flembinio!

With QQ, when it folds to me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 300.

I then get raised to 555. With a premium made hand, the key being that I have a made hand, I'm going to re-raise here. A normal sizing for this bet is to 3X the previous bet, but since this is well over 1/3 of my remaining stack (where I'm pot-committed), I'm going to 4-bet shove. The only hands I'd do this with are QQ, KK or AA.

I don't want to raise to less than this (or I can be giving the opp the correct odds to be in the hand) and I don't want the opp to be able to see an A or K on the flop without having to pay the maximum amount of chips.

By only raising to 1k, the opp got the right odds and when they see they hit the K, they're priced in for the rest of the chips on the flop. When I give the opp a +EV play (they have the right odds and expect to win chips from me on average) and I get outdrawn, it's my own fault that I lose the hand. I want to always make it so that the opp has a -EV play to draw to beat me (a play where they expect to lose chips to me).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:48 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2013
In a normal cash game I would've definitely shoved. The question is should I be more careful in a tournament or I shouldn't play different even if it's in an early stage

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In a league game, I do need to be much more cautious and I'll only make a play with a premium, made hand (QQ, KK, AA). Nothing else.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com