Old
5nl overpair vs flop raise - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

45/27
wtsd 44
AF 3.2/3.3/2
116 hands
Am I overadjusting to his fishiness or it was a good shove?
Would it be better to call and reevaluate the turn? If so, to what bet size on what turn should I fold?

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Pray,

Against a tight player a fold would be fine, as they would have a set quite often on a small dry flop like this making a big check-raise.

Obviously that's not who we're dealing with here. In our 116 hand sample this villain has:

-Been very LAGgy preflop
-Been aggressive post flop
-Gone to showdown a lot

If this were a 1K hand sample, solidifying all the stats, I would say this is a player who plays lots of hands and likes to drive the action. Playing wide ranges, it seems he is driving the action to showdown both with a range of medium strength hands and bluffs/semi-bluffs, as well as big hands. While 116 hands doesn't lock this read in, it's a pretty good assumption at this point imo.

So yes, I like stacking off. I think it will be very profitable against a guy who is assuredly overplaying hands like A7 and 88 and the like. The only real question is if it's more profitable to 3b shove the flop, or flat call and let him fire the turn. I lean towards the call because:

-It keeps his bluffs in, blasting off money
-I don't see any cards that scare this guy... i.e. a Q rolling off won't slow A7 or 88 down imo, so we don't really have too much risk of losing value from medium strength hands on regardless of the run out.

It's not bad either way, just my preference vs. a guy who will have a bluff range and tend to blast off with it regardless of what happens.

Obviously all this implies my answer to your last question... I'm folding to no turn bet sizing.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
Would you fold if an ace came on the turn?

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydolphin View Post
Would you fold if an ace came on the turn?
Would you?

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:28 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
I would fold but what I want to know is. Should I be calling after calling his flop raise? as my stack would be the same as the pot. Does that make me pot committed?

Or is a case of we have already decided we are playing for stacks once we call the flop and we are just unlucky the ace comes.

Last edited by tonydolphin; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com