Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10 nl fr turn decision

Old
10 nl fr turn decision - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013

Did I play this right or should I check the turn. If he raised the turn I was planning on folding if I didn't get 3to1 odds to hit my fh or 4 of a kind.

I think now I'm not in the heat of the moment that my bet on the turn is fairly thin value. My hand on the turn is only medium strength. I find this spot hard because if I check there are a lot of scare cards to come on the river.

The biggest mistake I made here was not stopping to think about my turn play. I just put him on tptk and went for it. I need to focus if I want to get back to 16nl.

Villain is 16/12/3

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Your sizing is awkward. You should be thinking about where you want the money to get in by. Here it's neither turn nor river.

If you want to shove turn you should raise bigger OTF (like $3.50) or smaller (like $1.80) to bet turn and shove river.

As played I still think we should bet/call the turn. He can have hands like KQ a tonne which we have crushed, and we have a decent number of outs vs his straights and flushes.

edit: i swear i didn't see the results when I mentioned KQ

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Isn't KQ a fold to his raise though?

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Your sizing is awkward. You should be thinking about where you want the money to get in by. Here it's neither turn nor river.

If you want to shove turn you should raise bigger OTF (like $3.50) or smaller (like $1.80) to bet turn and shove river.

As played I still think we should bet/call the turn. He can have hands like KQ a tonne which we have crushed, and we have a decent number of outs vs his straights and flushes.

edit: i swear i didn't see the results when I mentioned KQ
^^This. Not just KQ, but the villain can also have the top pair you mention, AA, and a number of Ah combos (AhK, AhQ, AhJ, AhT) that will want to give action. Sometimes players will even give action with JJ/TT if they hold the heart because they "have a straight flush draw" lol.

When I read your comment about not betting the turn, or folding to a raise, I expected to see a 4 straight board tbh, like 4567, where betting would be seriously thin... while this board isn't the greatest, I'm not inclined to give up here.

Also, another note about the sizing:

Quote:
If he raised the turn I was planning on folding if I didn't get 3to1 odds to hit my fh or 4 of a kind.
Plan your hand and size accordingly... here you gave yourself 3.4-1 to call a shove (4.70 into a pot of 16.05). The fact that he can shove some worse hands should compensate adequately for the times he's got 99+. Bigger sizings and we can make this call even easier, or as birdayy suggests, make it impossible to face by being all in ourselves on the turn bet.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
The players that give action with JJ/ TT with a heart would have to be insanely bad to call a flop raise and a turn barrel, i dont even like calling KQ myself.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:40 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
The players that give action with JJ/ TT with a heart would have to be insanely bad to call a flop raise and a turn barrel, i dont even like calling KQ myself.
Agreed, of course we know some players are insanely bad Anyone calling the flop raise with JJ/TT, is probably not folding a gut shot to the straight flush on the turn by definition.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com