Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

What is side pot and main pot ??

Old
Question
What is side pot and main pot ?? - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
Guys I'm new and I don't understand exactly what is main and what side pot! Also why some times I win both side and main pot and some times I win only one of them and some one else wins the other?

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
any time one or more players go allin and 2 or more players call them, a main pot and side pot(s) are created

main pot = what the shortest stacked player is playing for, along with all other players in the hand
side pots = what the remaining players play for, the allin player cannot win it

heres an example:

player a) 100 chips
player b) 200 chips
player c) 400 chips
player d) 800 chips

player A goes all in, player B also goes allin. players C and D call.

player A is playing for 100x4 = 400 chips (main pot)
player B is playing for the main pot, and for 100x3 (his excess 100, and player C and D's extra 100) so this is sidepot 1, for 300 chips. player B can win up to 700 chips here
players C and D are playing for the main pot, the side pot, and if either of them bets later in the hand then an additional sidepot will be created for just players C and D to win

i hope this explains it

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
The best way to explain this is with an example.

Player 1 (500 chips):

Player 2 (2000 chips) :

Player 3 (2000 chips):

Preflop all three players go all in. Because Player 1 has only got 500 chips, he is only entitled to win 500 chips from both players 2 and 3. Therefore, the main pot is 1500 chips, which all three players could win.

However Players 2 and 3 also went all in. Therefore a side pot must be created to account for the 1500 chips both players have remaining. Therefore there is a side pot of 3000 chips which only players 2 and 3 can win.

The board runs out

First you settle the main pot. Player 1 wins with AA and wins the 1500 chips in the main pot.

Then you settle the side pot. Player 2 wins this pot and wins 3000 chips. Player 3 has lost all his chips.

There can be multiple side pots if there are multiple short-stacked players all in.

If the players with more chips haven't yet gone all in, they can still bet as normal for the side pot they are contesting.

I hope this is clear!

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
simple.

this can happen if more than 2 players are in a pot and the smallest stack is all-in.
if the remaining players bet more than the smallest stack then there is at least one side pot.

the main pot is (number of players involved)*(size of smallest players stack)
the player with the best hand wins this pot, and this is the only pot the smallest stack can win.
the rest of the amount is in the side pot(s) which can be further divided if more players are all-in.

too late. already answered twice!

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Side pots are created when a player with less chips is all in.

For example 3 players are playing. Player 1 has 10 chips player 2 has 2000 chips and you have 5990 chips.

Blinds are at 100\200\50

All three of you push all in

The main pot is between all three of you and has 30 chips in it. 10 from player 1 which was matched by you and player 2

The side pot has 3980 chips the rest of player 2 chips which you matched. You get a refund of 3990 chips.

2 pots you and player 2 can win both pots but player 1 can only win the main pot.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:18 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
TY guys, especially to the illustrated replay, I now understand how it works!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com