Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Finding folds on the river: QQ and 59o

Old
Finding folds on the river: QQ and 59o - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 07:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm really trying to get more competent on the cash table this year. I'm horrid with more than 40BB. Too used to STTs. These are two hands I played where I made folds on the river I never would have been able to make until recently, but I'm not sure they were played optimally.

The first hand is vs a ridiculous 53/22 opponent, and I think I maybe should've called this one as he would think top pair is the nuts. I was worried about my kicker if he also had the trips.

The next hand is vs a much tighter 17/8 or so. On the river I think I'm either putting out a small blocker bet, turning my hand into a bluff catcher if I think he'll bluff with worse, or check folding vs top pair, two pair, or set of jacks if that's what I believe he has, which apparently I do.

I'm trying hard to take my time in these situations and consider possible combos opponents might have. Just not entirely sure I made the right moves here. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I'd lead flop in H1. It's going to get checked through a decent amount of the time and we have a strong (but vulnerable) hand.

As for the river, our hand is underrepped and we are near the top of our range so I think it's still a call.

H2, although not an ideal river is still a x/call vs a regular villain, but since this guy is such a nit (over a decent sample?), then it's fine folding as he'd never be v.betting a hand like AJ for thin value.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 07:28 AM
(#3)
Hand 1:

Like birdayy says, I would just lead this flop. In multiway pots, people tend to bluff less and play more honestly. Furthermore, nobody raised preflop so there is no saying that anyone is going to bet this flop. You need to try and build up a pot for value against hands like Tx and draws.

I like your turn play.

On the river I would call this bet. Like you say he could easily be value betting Tx, Jx or trying to pull off some bluff as you haven't played your hand that strongly. Don't forget that you would chop the pot with 97 or 98 which are definitely the sorts of hands that this villain would limp with.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 07:42 AM
(#4)
Hand 2:

I would bet the flop bigger with the flush draw and the pot being multiway, something like $0.15 would be better.

Turn play is good once again.

The river is an interesting spot. I think because of villain's tight-passive nature and the fact that he's bet a decent portion of the pot, I think you made a good laydown here, he'd just check back his Jx hands.

If you were planning to call a river bet, bet/fold would have been a better approach to take.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com