Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR Zoom - Top set vs flop raise

Old
2NL FR Zoom - Top set vs flop raise - Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
How's my line of play, should I have shoved the Turn? I felt a re-raise/shove OTF might scare him off.
Or is this a case of should always be betting big on wet textures?

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 02:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nash,

Firstly, flop bet sizing is way to small imo, don't just half pot on auto pilot. This is a wet board and many hands in villains ranges can hit this board in ways that will give action... I favor close to full pot here.

Secondly, it is essential to re-raise directly on the flop imo. You don't need to shove (although that's a fine option), you could make it .85c, planning to shove turn.

Consider the following:

-There is only 1 specific hand beating us right now, and we have a number of wins to draw out on that hand.
-Villains flop raising range in a multi-way pot should be very strong generally. hands like 88 and JJ will get the money in on the flop, but may get scared by a lot of turn cards. Hands like top pair+FD will feel like they have enough equity to be a favorite against our range and stack off as well (that holding does have good equity vs. our range, but not vs our specific holding).
-If villain is raising a naked draw, it is usually some combo draw (AdTd, KdTd,Ad9d, etc) and villain will likely stack that off bad now as well.

To put it another way, I don't share your concern of chasing him off with a flop 3-bet, as his entire value raising range and semi-bluffing range should be strong enough to continue.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com