Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6Max Zoom - Top two vs weird action

Old
25NL 6Max Zoom - Top two vs weird action - Fri Jan 24, 2014, 03:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

Unknown villain

Villain's line made no sense to me. If he had 4x wouldn't he have just continued betting the river? Maybe he was levelling me and trying to extract more value?

I was really baffled as to whether I should call or not, I guess my hand was only beating bluff-catchers.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
Unknown villain

Villain's line made no sense to me. If he had 4x wouldn't he have just continued betting the river? Maybe he was levelling me and trying to extract more value?

I was really baffled as to whether I should call or not, I guess my hand was only beating bluff-catchers.
I think your stats are very important here, your fold to check/raise stat and your fold to fcbet stat. if your fold to check/raise stat is low he is making it with nuts.If your fcbet stats are low at about 30-40% , he thinks that check/raise has more FE. if 1st than he has strong made hand if second he has "lucky" jacks . and of course your river aggression is important . if your float OTR is high it's a trap if it's low there's something wrong with him he should bet with monsters as you will check it behind.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I only had four hands on the villain, so he had at most four on me so readless both ways!

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
I only had four hands on the villain, so he had at most four on me so readless both ways!
Than, how is leveling possible? Than I assume he want to see your fold and he is bluffing . I think jacks is only value hand that makes sense . I would call as played. but I would't bet OTR.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
When villains take lol-lines i lol-call.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 01:11 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Andy,

First, in my experience, when the preflop raiser check/raises the flop, they almost always show up with a weak hand. I don't know why, just something I've noticed recently in my games, enough to where if they have the goods I note it.

He might just think we're betting because he checked, and doesn't believe we have a king. In fact we might actually check behind with a king much of the time on the flop so it's a reasonable expectation. We are not going to get more than 1-2 streets of value from worse and have little to protect against, so some pot control and deception in a check back isn't bad.

Given the weirdness of this line and my experiences with it over the past few months, I would call his check/raise planning to call down. I would alter than plan on the turn. We have just picked up some insurance having drawn out on AK/KQ/KJ, and his bet sizing is very small for a follow through on a turn card that brought back door draws. It looks like a blocking bet, and I would favor raising here to about $5. It's possible he turned a draw, so I don't really fancy giving him a cheap river for it, when I am no longer losing to AK/KQ/KJ at the same time.

On the river I like the value bet, and the c/r again makes no sense to me. Any time villains take a line that makes no sense, I tend to look them up, especially when I've got a decently strong hand. If he's got AQ somehow then I guess he got a very lucky run out and I'm just going to pay him for it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com