Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Plan for 2014

Old
Plan for 2014 - Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Plan for 2014

Monthly Graphs
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April Mid-Month 2014
April 2014

Thought it'd be funny to start my thread for 2014 with a look back at where my 'game' was back in 2012 - as a fledgling 2nl wannabe, about all I could do was make jokes about my disastrous graphs ... because if I didn't laugh, I'd have to cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post

Cash Games - my graph is starting to look like a lie detector test

Robert De Niro from 'Meet The Parents': "Focker, did you do it and then blame it on Jynxie?"
I bring up that graph, because some days my graphs *still* look like that in the short-term! Poker at it's best can be the biggest, most challenging thrill - at it's worst, well ... there's no avoiding the downswings and the bad beats. And sometimes I think those things (in poker, and in life) can sometimes have a tendency to get even the most optimistic of us a little down?

Have always thought of goal-setting as a tool that other, more driven and ambitious people use. But after giving some of Sandtrap's methods a try last year, it kind of seems like they could maybe be used in other ways too? Was thinking they could even be used as a morale-booster, for someone like me who sometimes struggles with confidence and tilt issues, gets discouraged at times, is disorganized and scattered, lives in the moment, etc. Like, as a way to give my actions more direction, with more of a big picture purpose?

It'd be like maybe giving my poker playing a 'theme'?

For 2014, would love to be able to have fun at the tables, keep the morale high ... and try and be a bit more efficient and productive to boot. Think a lot of that was lacking from my game last year, so ... I wanted to try and do things differently this year.

The structure I'm using might seem a bit weird to be using to try and accomplish this stuff, but I gave stuff a lot of thought, have given it a try for the first couple of weeks of the year, and it seems to be helping. So it'd be lovely if things were to continue on this way the rest of the year.

Plans for 2014

•  make $1k at 10nl Zoom (6m)

•  start giving 25nl Zoom (6m) a try after reaching $1k

•  only look at the internet after finished grinding to increase my hands/hr

•  review hand histories after every session

•  watch at least one live training video a week until caught up

•  cut back on the poker 'side hobbies', like hyper-turbos

•  reward myself every month with $25 worth of stuff from Amazon.ca (paid for with fpps)

Monetary goals got to be quite controversial ... was thinking maybe they're better suited for people who have been playing at a certain stake for a while, who have no intention of moving up for a while? Was thinking that having a big picture number in mind ought to help remind me on days where I don't turn a profit, that most days aren't like that?

And giving 25nl a bright-line starting point I guess is meant to (1) give me a way to tell when I might be ready to move up, (2) give me a cushion so that I don't have to play scared, and (3) prevent me from hanging out too long at 10nl if I'm ready to move up ... even if that time doesn't come until next year.

Think that's everything. Just wanted to give thanks to a couple of people who helped and inspire me with their great actions/advice/thoughtfulness ... the list is incomplete, because there's just so, so many more people to thank. I wouldn't be where I am today, without all of you, so thank you very much for all your help!!

Sandtrap - with his goal-setting advice
Paul - was super inspired by what you were able to achieve last year
Mr Mendes - for suggesting a reward system for following up with studying
Profess Awe - for noticing how hard I am on myself when it comes to the process of trying to improve our game
PowerDegre - for really impressing on me how bad a habit it is to be reading US Magazine while trying to grind
Gareth - what a strategy sicko! Everything I've learned about poker has come from his live training vids

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun May 04, 2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:07 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Yearly Goals

•  make $1k at 10nl

•  that'll be on average about 25,000 hands/month

•  move up to 25nl as soon as I hit $1k - no clinging to 10nl because it's comfy!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:08 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Monthly Goals

•  play at least 25,000 hands (no carryovers from previous months)

•  that'll be on average about $83/month

•  remember to find something fun for $25 at amazon.ca every month (should be eligible for free Super Saver shipping)

Revisions

•  some adjustments for variance:

•  slow months - $50/month
•  really slow months - try to break even
•  upswings - aim for $150/month

•  back up PokerStars and PokerTracker notes, back up HUD settings (and try to find the file for color codes too?)

Notes and Updates

January

Click to show hidden text

February

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:08 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Weekly Goals

•  by playing at a rate of around 400 hands/hr, and 15 hours/week, that should be about 6,250 hands?

•  watch at least one Live Training video from the following list, and take notes (until caught up):

C-Betting

Staying Aggressive #1 (Nov. 14, 2012) - completed earlier
Staying Aggressive #2 (Nov. 15, 2012) - completed earlier
Continuation Betting Basics Part 1 (Aug. 28, 2013) - completed
Continuation Betting Basics Part 2 (Aug. 28, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Continued Part 1 (Sept. 18, 2013) - completed
Continuation Betting Basics Continued Part 2 (Sept. 18, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Revisited Part 1 (Oct. 16, 2013) - completed
Continuation Betting Basics Revisited Part 2 (Oct. 16, 2013)

3-Betting

Dealing with 3-Bets #1 (Dec. 12, 2012) - completed earlier
Dealing with 3-Bets #2 (Dec. 13, 2012) - completed earlier
Preflop Aggression #1 (Dec. 19, 2012)
Preflop Aggression #2 (Dec. 20, 2012)
4-Betting Revisted P1 (Mar. 27, 2013) - completed
4-Betting Revisted P2 (Mar. 27, 2013)
Raise That Bet! Part 1 (July 3, 2013)
Raise That Bet! Part 2 (July 3, 2013)
Three, Four, Five Part 1 (July 6, 2013)
Three, Four, Five Part 2 (July 6, 2013)

Deep-Stacked Play - haven't watched this one yet *new!

Big Deep Stack Pots Part 1 (Sept. 11, 2013)
Big Deep Stack Pots Part 2 (Sept. 11, 2013)

Additional Vids - make sure notes are complete

4-Betting Revisited Part 1 (March 27, 2013)
4-Betting Revisited Part 2 (March 27, 2013)
Playing the Fool Part 1 (April 1, 2013)
Playing the Fool Part 2 (April 1, 2013) <- Find part 2
Asking the Right Questions Part 1 (April 20, 2013)
Asking the Right Questions Part 2 (April 20, 2013)
Asking the Right Questions, Series 2 Part 1 (May 18, 2013)
Asking the Right Questions, Series 2 Part 2 (May 18, 2013)
Under Pressure Part 1 (May 22, 2013)
Under Pressure Part 2 (May 22, 2013)
Value, Value, Value Part 1 (May 29, 2013) - completed
Value, Value, Value Part 2 (May 29, 2013)
Raise that Bet Part 1 (July 3, 2013)
Raise that Bet Part 2 (July 3, 2013)
Three, Four, Five Part 1 (July 6, 2013)
Three, Four, Five Part 2 (July 6, 2013)
Gathering Reads Part 1 (August 26, 2013)
Gathering Reads Part 2 (August 26, 2013)
+ Value Replay? (June 19?)

Revisions

•  take a break from watching/note-taking the 3-betting series, and practice c-betting first

•  remember to take a day off at least once a week

•  cut out the weekly Sunday Storm

Notes and Updates

January

February

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:09 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Daily Goals

•  play 400 hands/hr, by cutting out surfing the internet while playing

•  save the US Magazine, and the All Recipes for after grinding

•  review hand histories after each session

Revisions

•  do a warm-up before playing

•  do c-betting practice exercises at night (after finishing the 'C-betting Primer')

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 06:31 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
Hey Sam!

Pretty good goal setting, are you playing exclusively zoom cash games? Remember to register for the time vault invitational sng, only you and Sandtrap are not registered yet. I have taken a lot of advice from you last year you did great in always dropping by to check the progress, it's motivating. Let's keep doing that this year with or without a new time vault project. I appreciate your help. Success at the tables!

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey, we have been expecting you Welcome to 2014!

U know I like a bit of humour with a graph, so I appreciated that one from yesteryear!

Only one thought, have you considered the virtues of beginning session with hand reviews, rather than ending it? Some prefer that way, makes sense to try both.

Otherwise GL!

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:37 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
Hey, we have been expecting you Welcome to 2014!
bwahaha!!

Wish MTT's would give consolation prizes for the first person out ... then maybe I'd like playing them more if I had a chance at a prize

Just went and signed up - maybe it'll be a chance to sit and pick up tips from you all ... as like an investment in future $ of other tourneys

@mrmendes - one of the downsides of not surfing the internet while playing anymore is that there's less chance to keep track of everybody's progress like I used to - but there's time after I grind, so I'll definitely have to try to do better than I did this month ... worth the effort!! And oh, looks like I forgot to mention what game I'm playing - will go add that now ...

@professawe - so funny you mention that, because recently I just started doing a little warmup before grinding. Will have to give your suggestion a try for size - maybe that'll be a good way to remember stuff I'm trying to get better at?

Thanks so much for stopping by

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:51 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Yeah some folk like to start off with some reviewing, get the fresh mind into poker vs after session when the tired mind ought not have to go over any poor play ... unless you can draw a line and remember the key messages to apply in future.
I like a bit of afters personally.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:03 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
Best of Luck and May you Have a very Prosperous Poker 2014.

PH

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 08:09 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
@professawe - oh, ya ... that's true too. It's worth a try for size - will give it a shot

@hitman - thanks hitman Yes, here's hoping 2014 is a very prosperous year for all of us! GL with your games, and thanks so much for stopping by

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 09:04 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
Yeah some folk like to start off with some reviewing, get the fresh mind into poker vs after session when the tired mind ought not have to go over any poor play ... unless you can draw a line and remember the key messages to apply in future.
I like a bit of afters personally.
Hey, you know what ... well, I didn't start my session off with hand reviews, but have always collected hand histories while playing - by keeping a word processing sheet open to paste hand histories, with little notes. And have just recently started actually analyzing them mid-game - like, by trying to think up ways to improve on the spot, so they're not just a collection of mistakes? Which has been interesting ...

Here's a hand that I analyzed mid-game this morning which I bungled up badly - so from this I learned to:

1. Try to notice the villain's shorter stack sometime before he re-raises all-in on the turn? Like maybe on the flop instead?? Not sure if maybe a check-fold on the turn would have been better?

2. And not just call because there's so little behind ... when it totally felt like the villain had the straight - thus I was drawing dead. Thought my call was terrible.

3. Remember that tip from live training to prepare yourself to fold to a re-raise *before* betting, when betting a marginal hand. Not even sure a bet was appropriate in this spot, but assuming it was *okay* ...

With tip #3 fresh in my mind from the hand above, I *finally* remembered to apply it to this spot here, which came soon after:

Villain was something like 14/10/0, with a call 3bet of 0, wtsd of 0

So that was kind of cool to see improvement so quickly. The only thing is that reviewing hands while grinding slows down my hands/hr rate a bit, so I don't know ... guess that's another spot to possibly tinker with moving forward - when to do reviews ... before, during, or after. Will keep experimenting I guess ...

EDIT: oh, took a break to post this, and now it's time for my *real* break, look at that Not sure it's going to be possible to finish up the month today after all, at the rate I'm going ...

EDIT2: ehhh, maybe the call with the AJ wasn't so bad after all, just because there was so little left, and sometimes short-stacks will just spew off the rest of their chips rather than call, with just a draw, like KT or whatever? Maybe the big mistake was putting myself in that spot in the first place by betting the turn, or betting so large ... really need to work on playing versus awkward stack sizes!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:34 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Progress Report for January 2014

Guess my thread for this year'll be a lot different from last year's, where I had to spend so much time away from the tables looking at problem spots - and gosh, there were sooo many of them

Still have a ton to learn, so studying's still a big, BIG part of the plan for this year - like my graph's aren't great or anything ... Sandtrap I'm not, unfortunately But hopefully things'll continue to improve with continued study of all the awesome resources here at PSO.

Hands Played - January 2014

Does everybody else have breakeven/downswings that last as long as like, 30k-50k hands? Have always felt like maybe a better player might be able to turn a profit in those times where I'm slightly losing. Those times seem to be the toughest part of poker for me, with the trickier spots at the table, and the downswings, and sometimes some tilt (although Jared Tendler helped me out with that here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...441#post438441)

Figure the big downswing that's liable to hit sometime in the next little while ought to be the more interesting part of my thread, because of the challenges those times seem to pose. Am not in one of those downswings just yet, so January went okay - guess it's nice to be able to start off on a good note before things get tougher.

Stats

Hands: 25,000 exactly
Profit: $118.47
Rake Paid: $178.84
VPPs: 1212.79 (not including the 125 bonus)
fpps: 1819.19

Videos Watched - January 2014

Have taken notes on all of these, but haven't yet done the big picture summary

4-Betting Revisted P1 (Mar. 27, 2013)
4-Betting Revisted P2 (Mar. 27, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Part 1 (Aug. 28, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Part 2 (Aug. 28, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Continued Part 1 (Sept. 18, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Continued Part 2 (Sept. 18, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Revisited Part 1 (Oct. 16, 2013)
Continuation Betting Basics Revisited Part 2 (Oct. 16, 2013)

Stuff Bought with fpps at Amazon.ca - January 2014

Have to wait a couple of days to reach 3,500fpps before I can actually buy this stuff ... but know what I'm going to get with my gift certificate already ...

Kindle book (unrelated to poker!) - $14.99
Ceramic marker - $12.76 (planning on making these mugs on my day off: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...731#post313731)

Should be interesting to see how things go as the months progress - am not totally sure the yearly goals I've set out for myself are reachable to be honest. Guess I'll just have to keep working hard and trying my best, and see how it goes ...

Hope everybody's doing well - may February be a prosperous month for us all!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Adjustments for February 2014

Stuff that has room for improvement

- the poker side hobbies - should have worked on Live Training vids first, will cut out the Sunday Storm
- the $83 target - needs more flexibility to account for variance
- 25,000 hands target burnout - cutting out the Sunday Storm should help
- computer issues - add a monthly backup for player notes (for PokerStars and PokerTracker), save HUD settings
- didn't take any breaks until the very last day of the month (yesterday ... was supposed to take one a week) - cutting out the Sunday Storm should help
- cutting out surfing the internet helped a ton, but I started doing it again towards the end of the month as the burnout increased - hopefully having a lighter schedule will help with this too

Stuff to add

- the pre-grind warmup - review notes from 'Zoom On'
- the C-betting vids - need to make up a 'C-betting Primer' ... maybe I can do practice exercises at night?

Other Stuff

- am tempted to add *more* stats to my HUD - should I be trying to simplify?
- try to improve the quality of my thinking at the tables
- hand history reviews went okay

Will add more later - have to go set up my table settings all over again ...

Random Thoughts

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 08:33 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Very best of luck with your goals for 2014 Sam!

I can relate to the burnout bit and it's good to take a break during each week, actually it's really important.

I haven't tried the pre-grind warm-up idea yet but I like it, must start doing it

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Hey RR!

I've heard a lot of people say that - that the breaks are so refreshing, you wind up getting more done in the net by resting than by keeping going at half-steam ... guess I should really make a point of giving it a try if everybody else swears it's worth it

The warm-up thing I got from Jared Tender ... if you ever see me write about an interesting tip - it's usually not mine lol He's full of good ideas

Thanks so much for stopping by with the well-wishes - GL with your grind!!

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:25 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Have been playing like a donkey's bottom since the beginning of the month, because I lost all my PokerStars settings (color coding and notes), which meant also not playing for 5 days.

Think I'm starting to finally get back in the groove though ... hopefully!

Spent so much time last year berating myself for making so many fishy calls, thought maybe it'd be fun to post some hands this year that celebrate the fact that I've finally managed to find the fold button and have learned to use it

Villain's stats were something like 10/0/0

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
FHO (for HUD-afficionados only)

Have some really obscure stats on my HUD that don't seem to come into play very often, but keep them there because there's space for them.

One of those stats is 'donk flop' - just had a villain with a donk flop of 83%, which is pretty unusual - you think my re-raise might have actually been for value?

Anybody else use any less-common HUD stats that they find sometimes come in handy?

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 02:05 PM
(#19)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
FHO (for HUD-afficionados only)

Have some really obscure stats on my HUD that don't seem to come into play very often, but keep them there because there's space for them.

One of those stats is 'donk flop' - just had a villain with a donk flop of 83%, which is pretty unusual - you think my re-raise might have actually been for value?

Anybody else use any less-common HUD stats that they find sometimes come in handy?
I have donk bet fold on my hud

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 03:17 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
hehe ... there's still room for more

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com