Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Folding Flopped Trips

Old
Folding Flopped Trips - Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I have another nitty fold I'd like to have looked at. I'm okay with my fold. I'm sure I am beat most of the time, even if the raiser is playing a crazy 60/8. And I haven't invested much. But the fact that I folded trips on the flop raises the question of what flop I wanted and should I be calling with this hand in this position pre-flop at all if even this flop isn't good enough to continue with. Thoughts?

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
You're folding flopped trips to a 60/8? Come on bro.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:41 PM
(#3)
What would you put him on that I beat with his pot-sized reraise? Loose passive suddenly getting aggressive makes this a questionable call.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
He can be doing this with a wide array on non - Ax hands given he got mindonked into.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 04:06 PM
(#5)
The 8 part of 60/8 tells me that he loves to limp or call pre-flop. When he reraises pre-flop (even if it is a minimum) I tend to think he has a better hand, probably AJ+. When he reraises again on the flop and shows more aggression, he is almost certain to have the other A, since aggression is so uncommon from this passive player. Likelihood that my kicker can hold vs his = not very good. Also have to not get outdrawn by the obvious flush draw from the other opponent who wants to come along for a bad price.

My question has more to do with whether I should be calling pre-flop in this position with this hand.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 04:29 PM
(#6)
Folding preflop is fine, but I think calling is also OK as you're getting such a good price.

Folding the flop is too nitty. Villain doesn't have to be doing this with better Ax, maybe worse Ax, maybe a bluff, maybe KK that hates the AA and wants to try get everyone to fold.

Somebody who is playing this loose passive isn't a thinking player and could be making all sorts of strange moves. I'd just call flop and evaluate on later streets.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 04:43 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
just a terrible fold imo btw.....hiccup

if you use proper bank roll management.....losing the hand would be no big deal, you can re-load and play again.

I would have shoved after his raise.....but please refer to my poker rule #1

Cheers

P.S. after seeing this......I will have to add a note on you....hiccup

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 07:15 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I would have to ask what percentage of your bankroll are you playing here because tbh if youve called pre what exactly are you hoping to flop that you wont commit your stack. Whilst I agree that a 60 / 8 player may well have a better ace your fold for me was too nitty. Its either a call and evaluate the turn or a 3x reraise and ask the question. Shoving is an option but I feel that polarises your hand in your opponents eyes.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 07:31 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer1963 View Post
I would have to ask what percentage of your bankroll are you playing here because tbh if youve called pre what exactly are you hoping to flop that you wont commit your stack. Whilst I agree that a 60 / 8 player may well have a better ace your fold for me was too nitty. Its either a call and evaluate the turn or a 3x reraise and ask the question. Shoving is an option but I feel that polarises your hand in your opponents eyes.
ya.....hiccup, what he said....

my reply was done by adding numerous beers.....and a fattie or two

and l'm not talking the Mr's

Cheers All

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 07:52 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer1963 View Post
If you're asking if I was playing scared money, that wasn't the case. I have plenty of buy-ins. I just didn't see much point continuing as I'd only invested 2c and I feel I'm not ahead that often. The advice to call and evaluate the turn has me curious. Sounds like we're proceeding without a plan and without position. As for 3-betting 3x or all-in, I can't see how we're getting value from a worse hand.

I don't outright disagree with any of you. Just want to see more explanation for why this is obvious call.

I think this hand just shows me why I shouldn't bother calling with this hand in this spot pre-flop because short of flopping flush, bottom trips, or 2 pair, it's going to be auto fold.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 08:30 PM
(#11)
And now I've done enough digging with an equity calc to decide it's a call. Even if I narrow his range to AJ+, 88, QQ, and KK, I still somehow have 52% equity. These are the hands I put him on based on him being passive and his raise pre-flop and his potting it on the flop, but I'm probably giving him too much credit. So my equity just goes up if he does this with more hands than these.

Cheers all

Old
wtf? - Sat Jan 25, 2014, 10:38 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2013
okay..now tell us the 1 about Cinderella -lol

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:06 AM
(#13)
???

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com