Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

5 Days Ago I Briefly Met Liv Boeree

Old
5 Days Ago I Briefly Met Liv Boeree - Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I think I need to post this here to separate it from all my general ramblings.

Not a boast, not a brag. I don't follow poker celebs or anything. Hence the factual title. Just one of those times when a small player meets a big player for a few moments and is massively impressed by their generosity of spirit and courteousness, even in the midst of a pressure situation.

Back in the real world - it has taken five days for anyone (and yes I have been telling everybody) to be even slightly impressed that I met Liv Boeree - albeit very briefly. I just wanted someone to share it with - nobody in my circles was interested.

I was watching live as Liv came second in the UKIPT Edinburgh tourney. I am obviously a fan - but who doesn't like super intelligent successful young poker playing women - like Liv Boeree and Vicki Coren? I know I do. Lazily I watched the progress of most of the tourney online and didn't rock up at my local venue in The Assembly Rooms 'Music Hall' until the heads up finale. Liv and her mum were coming down the stairs into the foyer on a break and I cheekily asked for a photo of Liv. Her mum then insisted on taking one of us together. So I might post the first photo - but never the second.

Then I went to rail.

Having missed a big chance to win outright with KK v Ax where the opponent, all-in and covered, caught the ace, Liv was so almost there - but ended up beat not long after. I felt crushed. Liv reacted with real grace.

My twenty seconds meeting Liv, a couple of minutes talking to her mum, and watching for the first time the final stages of a live tourney between two serious players has already stuck in my mind and I think will be there evermore.

I am not a live player as yet - but I can see the attractions. Maybe in the future some old guy who looks uncannily like me will be there.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Great story. But why wait 'til you're an old guy?

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
yo Edin......did she ask about me......hiccup

Cheers

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:53 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
That ship already sailed Joe.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:54 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post

Cheers
Sorry Effer no - but she did apologise when she burped.

Hiccup

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:57 PM
(#6)
lol....hiccup

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:59 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:

Cheers
I lol'd

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:15 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
I lol'd
If I won as good a score as you did this weekend Gareth - I would also lol at pretty much anything effsea says.

Big congrats on your TCOOP score - keep up the tourney play - watching your Sunday Mills - and come to play Live in Edinburgh next year - we need more strong players to grow this Live Tourney.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:35 PM
(#9)
Since: May 2011
I'm impressed, remove the media hype and it's just a girl with her mum supporting her.

Great for you to just engage in a quick chat, swap photos with people who are really the same as everyone else and getting on with their day.

Intrigued about the photos (one you won't show?). Though I understand a kiss from Liv's mum made Daniel's hair stand on end.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 09:43 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:42 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
If I won as good a score as you did this weekend Gareth - I would also lol at pretty much anything effsea says.

Big congrats on your TCOOP score - keep up the tourney play - watching your Sunday Mills - and come to play Live in Edinburgh next year - we need more strong players to grow this Live Tourney.

Ed
I hope you mean laughing with me vs at me I hope

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:44 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
I'm impressed, remove the media hype and it's just a girl with her mum supporting her.

Great for you to just engage in a quick chat, swap photos with people who are really just the same as everyone else and getting on with their day.

Intrigued about the photos (one you won't show?). Though I understand a kiss from Liv's mum made Daniel's hair stand on end.
Liv and her mum were great.

I would show the photo of Liv, because she is obviously very photogenic. The one taken by her mum, of Liv stood next to a large hairy old man - nobody needs to see that. Except me.

As for KidPoker 'Daniel Negreanu' - I was led to believe he was vegan....

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:46 PM
(#12)
Quote:
I hope you mean laughing with me vs at me I hope
Laugh at what you say.

With you.

Never vs you.

Now eff off.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:23 PM
(#13)
Liv at the break in Heads Up play - what an asset to the UK poker scene

A great player who has (rather than is) a great personality.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:34 PM
(#14)
Here is a pic of the stage - set up ready for the final HU session

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:44 PM
(#15)
Moved...

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 PM
(#16)
moved again

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:20 PM
(#17)
Here is a pic of the venue

Nice poker room by any standards

Hope they stay at the Assembly Rooms next year - and when they get the numbers up the Ballroom will top this.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:30 PM
(#18)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
That ship already sailed Joe.

Ed
Ed, we are as old as we act and as young as we feel. Or is that as young as the women we feel? I can't remember.

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:55 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Ed, we are as old as we act and as young as we feel. Or is that as young as the women we feel? I can't remember.
All I know is, there is an old guy in the picture of me and Liv. And it sure isn't her.

Never liked having my picture taken, never liked mirrors either. Couldn't refuse Liv's mums offer to take the pic of us both, that would have been rude - but it just confirmed my status as an old guy.

That's Ok - I am not so old - I don't yet scan the obits regularly in the cruel way of 'the old gits' (Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse characters) whose mantra was - You're dead, I'm not - You're dead, I'm not.

But, by your standards, I act old - I feel old - and the women I feel - well I can't remember either.

Now why did I come in here?

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:08 AM
(#20)
Since: Nov 2011
Nice trip report!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com