Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Connecting with the Flop Dangers

Old
Connecting with the Flop Dangers - Sat Jan 25, 2014, 08:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
So another small thread on thoughts in newbie plays.

So far noticing my losses in poker i got to the conclusion, where connecting with the flop can burn you badly.

A lot of new players just dont raise or bet, so if you feel confident with 1 pocket overpair, or two pairs post-flop you can trap yourself where another player just has set.

I kind of learner to notice if there is a chance for straights or flushes, or fullhouses that opponents can have and how to play accordingly. Especially if i have ace.

But how to play vs passive/tight/non bluffing players who limps or wants to outdrawn you where in reality they have set.

You can get burned worse while getting 2pair on the flop and or on the turn. And they can just call(with 2pairs or set/trips especially)when they notice you have something and they never fold!

Even i if i have a set, or trips, i dont even need to raise or even bet, because other players just trap themself by betting or raising(if multiway pot) and i just call as if im a weak player and then take whole pot.

Is there an easy way to read opponent cards or how you guys do in these situations?

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pokermancer8!

When I hit the flop, I need to bet enough to make any opps drawing have a -EV play to draw to beat me. If I don't bet this amount, then the opps expect to gain chips from me by drawing and they will and deserve to win chips on average from me... and if I do so, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The key is not to try to bluff players continually off pots. The key is to value bet made hands.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:49 PM
(#3)
Situational Awareness

Work on it.

Good decisions.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 01:29 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Pokermancer8!

When I hit the flop, I need to bet enough to make any opps drawing have a -EV play to draw to beat me. If I don't bet this amount, then the opps expect to gain chips from me by drawing and they will and deserve to win chips on average from me... and if I do so, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The key is not to try to bluff players continually off pots. The key is to value bet made hands.

John (JWK24)
Well what you would do after flop finding out you got 2pairs, where the villain has set. You can bet, he will win and you can call which is maybe what you would do, but you would definately bet a lot on turn and on river.

Thats what i am mostly concerned. Well the situational awareness is not clear for me yet. Its okay if player outdraws me, but i hate them winning the pot before the turn.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I flop 2 pair and the opp has a set.. it's a cooler and I'm going broke. Absolutely nothing I can do about it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 02:20 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If I flop 2 pair and the opp has a set.. it's a cooler and I'm going broke. Absolutely nothing I can do about it.

John (JWK24)
I knew about bad beats but never knew there was such jargon called "cooler". Thanks for putting it to my attention!

I think i should try find more info with examples on bad beats/coolers so that such hands wouldnt make me nervous or worry about my skills.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 02:26 PM
(#7)
Remember you are playing against a range as you rarely know the villain's specific hand. They are not always at the top of their range. The right play against a range will cost chips at times but still be +EV over time. .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com