Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

QT Suited agains a shove

Old
QT Suited agains a shove - Sat Jan 25, 2014, 11:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...180_17849A87DE

Should i called this ?? It was close to the money , i decided only to call i didnt want to raise but i wanted to see a flop with QT and short stack shoved.

Old
Sat Jan 25, 2014, 11:57 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
My 2 cents here,

With a quick stack check, I think you are around about 15 big blinds and under the gun? So for me it's a fold pre flop.

And as played limping utg, to the shove it's a fold. Though the maths guys may say you have some equity for the price... but I'm not going to bubble an orbit/blind level later playing that hand now.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: bubble soon short stack

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Manowar1800!

With 17BB in a turbo, I get QTs from UTG. Due to my stack size, I really have two plays here, shove or fold and since I'm not willing to put my tourney life on the line with this weak of a hand with the whole table to act behind me, I need to fold.

The one play that I absolutely do not want to make is to open-limp. Open-limping is a very weak play that will leak off a large number of chips over time due to opponents exploiting me by raising. If I'm not willing to make a standard raise with a hand when I'm the first one into the pot, I need to muck it.

When the opp shoves, this is an easy fold for me.

If I was one of the opps and saw the open-limp, I'd be shoving much lighter than normal, as the limper is most likely going to have some sort of marginal-at-best hand, that cannot call a shove. Spots like this are where the phrase "Punish the limpers" definitely applies.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Thank you for the answer, it really hellps , i ll have that in mind in the next tournaments when i have situation like this .

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:47 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Manowar1800!

With 17BB in a turbo, I get QTs from UTG. Due to my stack size, I really have two plays here, shove or fold and since I'm not willing to put my tourney life on the line with this weak of a hand with the whole table to act behind me, I need to fold.

The one play that I absolutely do not want to make is to open-limp. Open-limping is a very weak play that will leak off a large number of chips over time due to opponents exploiting me by raising. If I'm not willing to make a standard raise with a hand when I'm the first one into the pot, I need to muck it.
Imagine you limp in with QTs and the flop comes QTs and another low card/offsuit..The opponent raises half pot. You will risk against him not getting a flush? What would be pot size and your/opps chip stacks for you to risk putting a lot of chips in there? Lets say thats a cash game nolimit.

For me personally its quite often the similar scenario..

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokermancer8 View Post
Imagine you limp in with QTs and the flop comes QTs and another low card/offsuit..The opponent raises half pot. You will risk against him not getting a flush? What would be pot size and your/opps chip stacks for you to risk putting a lot of chips in there? Lets say thats a cash game nolimit.

For me personally its quite often the similar scenario..
First thing, I'm never open-limping unless I mis-click. 1/2 pot vs one opp already prices out a flush draw, so I'd just call. For determining when I'd want more chips in... I would need to know the stack sizes and especially what type of opp I'm up against.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com