Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was i carefull enuogh?

Old
Was i carefull enuogh? - Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014

HOLDEM Fifty50 turbo with 10players.

Most important question:

1. Does it look like oponent is bluffing/having bad hand?
2. Was i playing careful enough?

Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
What I think, that you dont need to bet (bluff) here in 3way pot with a draw only. You just called the 3bet preflop which means probably weakness, so it not worth IMO try to look strong on the flop. My plan would be check/call flop, check/call turn, bet/call river.

Good luck!

Last edited by MyNumber7; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 07:02 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 08:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tourney is this from? This is critical information, as it will determine the answer. Also, what reads do you have on the opps?

Please always include this information into all HA posts, as it's necessary for us to be able to provide a proper answer.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 10:09 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
What type of tourney is this from? This is critical information, as it will determine the answer. Also, what reads do you have on the opps?

Please always include this information into all HA posts, as it's necessary for us to be able to provide a proper answer.

John (JWK24)
Im sorry im just a noob since i have no idea if that kind of info is important. It was holdem fifty50 turbo with 10players.

I dont know what is the "opps" you are refering to. Im browsing poker glossary and it doesnt have explanation on this word.

EDIT: opponents . Well i didnt had much read on opponents.. Everyone was tight in a way..

Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Opps is short for opponents. Their play styles will normally be a determining factor in what the best course of action is.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 10:38 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pokermancer8!

In a 50/50, the first goal that I have is to guarantee a top 5, then to accumulate chips. I'm second in chips, so I don't want to take any unnecessary chances that can drop me out of the top 5.

With KQs, I get a smaller than standard raise in front of me. While I'd be happy to make a standard raise to 120 (3BB+1BB for each limper) if it folds to me, I don't want to be calling raises with marginal hands and due to this, I'm mucking preflop.

I flop an OESD and when both opps check to me, I'm going to check behind and see a free turn card. If I was the one that raised preflop, then I'd make a standard bet (2/3 pot due to 2 opps in the hand), but since I only called preflop, I'm going to check. I don't want to bet less than a standard bet, as this is normally a tell for a draw. I want to keep all of my bets and raises standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I want to avoid.
Also, since this is a 50-50 and every chip is worth cash at the end of the tourney, I don't want to be risking chips unnecessarily without a made hand.

The turn ia a blank and the opp checks again. I'm going to check behind again and see a free river card. I still have nothing and with only one opp in the hand, if I bet, I need to make a standard 1/2 pot bet.. and my hand is not strong enough to do so with.

The river gives me top pair and here, I'm going to make a standard value bet, which against one opp is 1/2 pot. When the opp raises, here is where a read on the opp is critical. This player has been very passive the entire time. Calling everything and not making any aggressive moves at the pot. Now, all of a sudden, they're raising. I only have one pair and don't even have top kicker, so I need to muck to this raise. Over-valuing one pair hands is a common mistake that can cost a player a large number of chips.

The keys with this hand are first, to muck preflop, but if I'm in the hand and make a bet, I need to make standard bets and raises, not non-standard ones that are a tell as to the strength of my hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:26 AM
(#7)
I would be uncomfortable if player shows he has strong hand. Not sure how hiding it is important. Its easier to guide opponent by letting him know you have strong hand, so he has easy decision to fold

But when i think about it more, i think i self-trapped myself more times due to opponent showing if he has strong hand or weak hand. So i think you are right on hiding hand strenght.

But this is hard if you semi-bluff. So much to learn.. Still climbing to 100 games!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com