Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Heeelp! Hacker!

Old
Heeelp! Hacker! - Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi, i need help here. Somebody took control of my account, ive already emailed ps but have no answers, what can i do?

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
as far as i know u have to email stars to log them out, then id change passwords, but use complex passwords

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:47 PM
(#3)
Thanks... have u heard of cases like this?

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:52 PM
(#4)
i couldnt log in as i was getting msg saying i was logged in still but i wasnt, they said i wasnt logged off properly, but have read cases of hacking to gain poker edge, but not into someones account, not sure of the point as funds are not transfered instantly, so not sure of the point.....

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:16 PM
(#5)
Now youve heard one... it happend to me just now. I was stolen 600$ aprox, take care of your account!, use safe passwords, and dont let anyone know your password.

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:32 PM
(#6)
yer dont tell know one your password, however hackers use rainbow tables, as long as they know your username they can break the password, when creating a password u need to use more than 8 characters have one capital letter, have numbers letters and characters, and should change your password monthly at least, http://www.howsecureismypassword.net/
tells u how long it takes to break your password

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:36 PM
(#7)
Thank you bonez!

Old
Heeelp! Hacker! / - Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:38 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
Yes accounts can be hacked , yes on Pokerstars. But if you have this happen and it is legitimate Pokerstars can track movement of money etc. When dealing with Pokerstars security YOU ARE NOT DEALING WITH STUPID. It is not in their best interests to have any accounts used by anyone other than the owner. Notify security and they will deal with it, you arent the first to have an account broken in to and wont be the last Im sure. BTW if your computer gets hung when shutting down you will also get that message and Stars can log you out , had that happen a couple of times over the years. Was just a glitch and taken care of immediately.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:02 PM
(#9)
Thank you chilli , ive already emailed. I hope they track the responsable so he can not steal another player.

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:18 PM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi so sorry to hear this hope you get it sorted

I wont ask any questions here as it may help the scammers

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 08:52 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
You could also add a pin number to your account, this also make it harder to hack. Pin numbers are entered on a random number pad, so there is no pattern to track. HTH.

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 01:51 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to more appropriate forum* - Fadyen

Hi Guido-bomb,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I trust the PokerStars support team will do everything in their power to help you out and try to resolve the issue.

As joy suggested it is possible to increase your account security by adding a PIN to your account. All the information you need on how to do so can be found here.
Alternatively you can order an RSA Security Token from the VIP Store. More information on that can be found here.

Cheers,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 08:19 PM
(#13)
Ty all for the help. I have now my account back, but the money is gone. It was a very expensive lesson on how to take care of your money.

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:38 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow, very scary to hear your account got hacked!!

Makes me wonder if maybe I should spend the 3000fpps in my account on one of those RSA tokens instead of a gift certificate at amazon.ca, even though I've already spent the gift-certificate in my mind

It's not like I've got a ton of $ in my account or anything, but still ...

What to do ...

Glad to hear you got your account restored, Guido - that must be a relief

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:36 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
As joy suggested it is possible to increase your account security by adding a PIN to your account. All the information you need on how to do so can be found here.

Okay, I *read* the messages from Joy and Fadyen before, but apparently they took some time to sink in

Adding a pin sounds like it ought to be enough to make a difference - just went and signed up for one ... the price sure can't be beat

It's always a bit of a drag to have to do an extra step of typing, but better safe than sorry I think, so it feels like it'll be worth the effort

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 02:32 PM
(#16)
Totally worth the effort, is just 6 clicks more, you dont type it. You have a numeric pad where you click your
PIN, its to protect from keyloggers which can read the pulse of your keyboard. Also I suggest to have actulized
antivirus to date, and run it regularly.

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Oh, right - that's an important distinction, that the numbers are clicked not typed, which is what gives the pin the extra layer of security.

Have an anti-virus in place too, so hopefully all that's enough.

Thanks for coming back and mentioning that your account got cleaned out - think it was hearing that from you, that had me willing to set up the pin number. It only took half a day to memorize the 6-digit code, and it only takes an extra couple of seconds to enter, so for the extra peace of mind that comes with it ... definitely think it's worth the effort.

Glad to hear you've got things ironed out for you

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 05:52 PM
(#18)
Since: Feb 2010
hope you have anti spam/malware programmes as well, they really are a must..

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:16 AM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2010
If the money is taken from your account than pokerstars must know to who or to where they sent it. And if it just happened the money should still be in pokerstars hands.

I would think they could trace it and find it.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 03:02 PM
(#20)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666bonez187 View Post
when creating a password u need to use more than 8 characters
This is quite simple and powerfull tip to make strong passwords-make hash of a sentence you can easy remember, but while hashed it is very dificult to guess it.
Then type as long as it is possible into PS software, how ever you will have to change to upper case at least one of its letters as I know, while it maybe it is requirement on PS-not sure about it.
I used Linux well known md5sum hash command, but it is possible find online calculators
Quote:
$ echo -n "I love poker"|md5sum
a7b6ff0d09491a2ff4b6b1dba8db6f60 -
However, good password is useless if someone will brake your system security and take remote control or will be able to log out what you type, so pin option or RSA token can help.

But, from time to time, when I had bad Internet connection and ISP provider changed my IP during PS session it looked like I was logged in on another and adrenaline jumped high a few times, but I was able to figure out that my IP changed and maybe it was the problem, while PS for sure uses encrypted maybe SSL protocol in PS client and changing IP address in the middle of the session can lead to strange things I guess.

Last edited by aspok123; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 03:05 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com