Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - Reverse float line and river decision

Old
25NL - Reverse float line and river decision - Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
I defend my BB here with AJs against a 23/21/4 reg who cbets 70% of flops. On this particular flop I think my Ace high should be ahead of most of his 44% BTN opening range and I think this is a flop that they would cbet on with their entire range. So with two overs, backdoor flush, backdoor straight I decide to call as like I said I think I am ahead here and with the backdoors we have some slight chance of improving in case we are behind.

Do you think this is a good spot for a reverse float?

The turn gets checked through and we lead river for value with our Nut flush but we now get raised. I don't think we can fold here but I think putting the rest in on a paired board might be a mistake. Do you think not getting the rest of the money in on the river is missed value?

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I think this is a fine spot to x/call otf.

We have 2 overs, backdoor nut flush draw and a backdoor straight draw.

Regarding shoving river, it really depends if he is bad enough to raise/call smaller flushes. I think a lot of regs will raise/fold K high flushes etc here because we have most combos of n|utted hands here (with the exception of QQ) while he doesn't.

His line isn't consistent with full houses because all combos would barrel turn (55,33,QQ,52s,53s,Q2s). That's the only reason I think it's reasonable 3b shoving the river.

Last edited by birdayy; Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 11:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think it's a fine spot to reverse float OTF, you're doing it with the best hand a significant amount of the time and you have a lot of backdoor equity to boot.

It's difficult to see what boats villain can have that he didn't continue betting OTT with. However if the villain is a pretty solid reg, I suspect his plan is to raise/fold worse flushes so I wouldn't expect to be called by worse if you 3Bet shove the river.

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 06:13 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
Only question I have is why you opted to call from the BB instead of 3betting? I'd personally have 3bet it quite a lot of the time as it is a button raise, would you consider this a mistake?

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:55 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hey George,

I also agree that x/c the flop is fine here.

Personally I would just call his river raise. Although if we had a read he would raise/call off a smaller flush then I can be swayed to shoving, but my guess is we are not getting called much by smaller flushes here. And I can see him sometimes showing up with 33, although he should barrel the turn with this hand sometimes when people (even regs) go from a weakish hand to a monster they get slow play giddy, and think they're giving you a free card for all your draws (which is flawed obv because you're not likely to be folding turn with a draw).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 04:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Cool thanks guys, just an unlucky spot here I ended up calling their raise because I thought there are not too many flushes that would raise the river there and he ended up flopping quads. But when reviewing the hand later I was questioning my flop line and river value and was looking for more insight.

@Jameisus, I think 3betting AJo is better than 3betting AJs and that's because there is more playability with AJs. When we 3bet a hand like AJs we are not 3betting for value and we would be turning our hand into a bluff so when we 3bet we make our villain fold worse Ax hands and Jx hands and by calling we keep those hands that we dominate in their range going to the flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com