Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Tight fold?

Old
5NL Tight fold? - Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
I think this fold was correct, but not entirely sure.. A large part of me was tempted to call thinking my overcards might be live and I had a gutshot, or perhaps I should have c-bet shoved, but then he only calls with better hands? He was fairly TAG but I think he was spewing / tilting at this point.

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 02:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I would have played for his stack all day long. Prob a leak of me

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 06:06 PM
(#3)
My thinking is he only calls with a better hand than mine, but at the same time I'm maybe gifting him the pot when I fail to c-bet

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
It's tricky to play against a short-stack like this. I think the decision is pretty close. You've got to call $0.53 to win $1, so you're getting just shy of 2:1, you need to win 34.6% of the time to make it profitable.

Villain's range is potentially pretty wide here, but against AJ,KJ,QJ or JT, you are a 30.65% underdog, so you'e not getting the right odds to call if he's only got Jx.

I don't think your equity will deviate much from this against his entire range. You will be ahead of some flush draws while behind others. Your equity vs 9x is roughly the same as vs Jx. He'll also have some stronger hands like sets or two pairs that we are way behind of.

So I think as played, check/folding is fine. However I might prefer to put him all in, and leverage some fold equity in addition to the ~30% hand equity we have against the stuff he calls with.

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 03:07 AM
(#5)
Thanks spand42. I agree folding would generate some fold equity, which would be something I'd normally consider, but as I say he was tilting / spewing so I thought his fold chances were pretty low with any pair, and possibly any two broadway cards.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com