Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl, 6-max ... Is this a spew?

Old
10nl, 6-max ... Is this a spew? - Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
I had only been at this table for about 20 hands or so, and had not played with the villain in question before. He isn't a reg, and seemed to be playing a lot of hands. I had seen him flat call J9o from the small blind to an UTG+1 3x raise (and win with a flop that had two Js on it). I was putting him in a weak player category.

Pre-flop: When he limps I raise for value, he calls.

Flop: I thought it was unlikely that the flop hit him and when he bets pot size I thought he was just hoping for me to fold. I called with the hopes of him leading again on the turn.

Turn: He leads the turn and with a second potential flush draw out there I figured I shouldn't flat call again. I 3bet thinking that he might fold, but if he shoves then he probably has an Ace weaker than mine or if I was unlucky he made a boat with A6, A4, 66, or 44. I didn't really give much consideration to AJ+ due to the pre-flop limp ...

I have been thinking about the hand and have been trying to decide if I should have been able to get away from it somehow, or not played for stacks. When he shoves over my 3bet on the turn I guess is the decision point. Should I be folding there? Is this a spew?

Just looking at the board without any "reads" on villain then AJ,AQ,AK,A6,A4,66,44 are hands that I am losing against while A2,A3,A5,A7,A8,A9 are hands that I am winning against. Seven loses vs Six wins.

Thanks for any insights

Note: This hand was not played on Pokerstars (because I can't play for real money on PS due to being in the US), but I edited a pokerstars hand so I could use the replayer to show what happened in this hand. It is a real money hand.

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ty,

Given the erratic, recreational nature of the villain here, I think the way you played the hand is fine and see no reason to consider not stacking off here.

One potentially valuable piece of info escapes me though...
Quote:
I had seen him flat call J9o from the small blind to an UTG+1 3x raise (and win with a flop that had two Js on it).
How did he execute that win? Check/raise? Donk flop for a pot sized bet? (you see where I'm going with this)

I don't think it matters much though tbh... even if hypothetically we saw him donk pot on the flop with the trip jacks, it's not enough for us to find a fold in this hand. He could have worse aces, or do this with draws as well, which we don't know yet. So ultimately, not folding AT here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
Thanks for the eval Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
One potentially valuable piece of info escapes me though...

How did he execute that win? Check/raise? Donk flop for a pot sized bet? (you see where I'm going with this)

Lol, yeah, I see where you were going with that. He did check it to the raiser on the flop in that hand. I went back and looked at it, and I see now that it was actually J9s (not J9o). Also, it was a 3x raise from the cutoff, not UTG+1, and had a 33 BB stack ... hmmmm, bad detail recollection. It was actually the first hand that I played at the table. Why flat J9s from SB vs 33 BB stack size?

Just for fun here is the text version of that hand:

Game started at: 2014/1/26 15:35:26
Game ID: 247024125 0.05/0.10 Cadmium - 3 (Hold'em)
Seat 5 is the button
Seat 1: Viekoda (10).
Seat 2: gloryAA (20.69).
Seat 3: PrayforSnow (10.69).
Seat 4: Maykell45 (3.30).
Seat 5: soboy (13.12).
Seat 6: genek45 (10).
Player genek45 has small blind (0.05)
Player Viekoda has big blind (0.10)
Player genek45 received a card.
Player genek45 received a card.
Player Viekoda received card: [2d]
Player Viekoda received card: [8c]
Player gloryAA received a card.
Player gloryAA received a card.
Player PrayforSnow received a card.
Player PrayforSnow received a card.
Player Maykell45 received a card.
Player Maykell45 received a card.
Player soboy received a card.
Player soboy received a card.
Player gloryAA folds
Player PrayforSnow folds
Player Maykell45 raises (0.30)
Player soboy folds
Player genek45 calls (0.25)
Player Viekoda folds
*** FLOP ***: [4c Js Jc]
Player genek45 checks
Player Maykell45 allin (3)
Player genek45 calls (3)
*** TURN ***: [4c Js Jc] [8h]
*** RIVER ***: [4c Js Jc 8h] [Qd]
------ Summary ------
Pot: 6.37. Rake 0.33
Board: [4c Js Jc 8h Qd]
Player Viekoda does not show cards.Bets: 0.10. Collects: 0. Loses: 0.10.
Player gloryAA does not show cards.Bets: 0. Collects: 0. Wins: 0.
Player PrayforSnow does not show cards.Bets: 0. Collects: 0. Wins: 0.
Player Maykell45 shows: One pair of Js [Kc Ah]. Bets: 3.30. Collects: 0. Loses: 3.30.
Player soboy does not show cards.Bets: 0. Collects: 0. Wins: 0.
*Player genek45 shows: Three Of Kind of Js [9d Jd]. Bets: 3.30. Collects: 6.37. Wins: 3.07.
Game ended at: 2014/1/26 15:36:11

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com