Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6Max Zoom- TPWK vs aggressive villain

Old
25NL 6Max Zoom- TPWK vs aggressive villain - Tue Jan 28, 2014, 11:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

Villain (68 hands): 35/35/15 AF: 6.50

Not a huge sample size but he seemed to be very aggressive. Unfortunately he hand't yet done anything on the river in the hands I had on my database.

Preflop I felt that J8s was a decent hand to try and win a stack with against such an aggressive villain.

I think the flop/turn calls are obligatory. Can a case be made for calling the river, is he likely to be bluffing often enough for it to be worth calling?

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 02:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Andy,

I fold to his 3b here. I know he's been fairly out of line for his 68 hands, but J8s just isn't good enough to do battle with imo. He is making a very large 3B sizing, which gives us a poor price to flat, and is no doubt 3-betting with a range that includes many hands which dominate us. I would actually prefer 4b/folding over flatting, but we don't have any blockers and his sizing forces us to 4b larger than we'd normally like to boot. I don't think either play is one we can pursue profitably, so folding is the best EV option imo.

Flatting gets us into a bunch of pickles like this too. Flop and turn are good, river is an interesting question, isn't it? We have to be right more than 1/3rd of the time, and while he's certainly bluffing sometimes, is it that often? I have no idea.

My best educated guess is to call, based on the facts that:

-He's wildly aggro
-All flopped draws missed, which means:
--He can have busted flush draws, and seems a good candidate to bluff those
--He can put us on a busted draw and trying to move us off
--Our range is basically capped here at Jx, so he may feel we are folding our entire range to a shove if he thinks along these levels.

Still, I don't like it and expect to get shown QJ+ quite a bit here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 05:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Yes when I looked through the hand afterwards, my thoughts were similar to yours about my preflop play, I'm justifying his large 4Bet and aggression by calling with a crappy hand like J8s.

I did fold because I didn't have enough confidence in the stats because of the small sample size and there are quite a lot of better hands that can play like this for value and I didn't think I'd be ahead often enough to justify a call.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com