Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Satellite Question - Push AK offsuit on bubble?

Old
Satellite Question - Push AK offsuit on bubble? - Tue Jan 28, 2014, 03:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Looking for general advice for satellites.

Sample situation: 50 get ticket, 150 left, Hero in 50th place, average range of stacks, aggression, etc.

Hero in MP2 with 20 big blinds - should you risk tourney and push all-in AK offsuit? Or just sit tight waiting for AA etc.?

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 03:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
If there is 150 left, we wouldn't be on the bubble, as we would still be looking to chip up at this point I would just play AK normally and raise it from most positions, leaning to open shoving depending on stacks behind and how the players are playing.

If we are on the stone cold bubble, ie. 51 left and we are 50th, then it depends on a lot of things such as where we are in relation to the blinds, how big the blinds are in comparison to our stack, if enough other short stacks will be going through the blinds before us.

I'd fold Aces if there were other players in danger of being blinded out before us.

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 04:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I'm in 50th with 100 to go until I get a ticket, then I need to accumulate more chips, so I'm playing AK normally. I'd make a standard raise for this blind level and go from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 05:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks for the replies. And sorry, by bubble I should have said I was just ITM. Figured I was doing the right thing and just got unlucky a couple times when I had good +EV in a good spot, but just wondered in this MTT format if one was better off getting supertight and hoping to squeek in as others got whittled out.

Thanks for the reassurance to keep with what got me to that point until the actual bubble.

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 01:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Are you in a satellite or MTT? The two have totally different strategies. My reply is for a satellite. When a satellite hits ITM, then the tourney's over.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com