villain_1 26/0 AF 1/0/1/infinite (19)

So not a lot of stats on the villain

What range would you give him ?
Should I call or not

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
When I first played through the hand history, I thought that this was a pretty standard bet/fold spot for all three streets. Villains, especially at 2NL basically never take this line with anything less than the nuts or very close to it - the check/raise river is an incredibly strong play.

Then I started to think about what hands made sense. He's got very few 4x hands in his range. There are only 4 combos of A4 possible, one combo of 44 and he might also have 54s. 88 is also possible and I think his most likely holding.

The only other possible hand that villain might take this line with is KQ, thinking that his two pair is good. However he has to call the flop with only two overcards and then shove despite the possibility of you holding AA or 4x yourself.

Having said that, it is this last point that makes me conclude that you should fold here. He's not scared that you've bet on every street and might have a full house yourself. I think villain is always going to show up with A4 at worst, but more likely 88 or maybe even 44.

Old
Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Which scenario fits 2NL better?

A) 88 flats OOP, check-calls twice then check-raises the river.

B) KQ flats OOP, peels one on the flop, hits TP and check calls, check raises when they make Top 2.

I prefer a nice overly. They need to have B or worse about 30% of the time to break even, I call if I think I'll see that at least 40% of the time. YMM

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2013
thank you both for your reply
When looking at it now, it seems such an obvious fold
However in the heat of the moment I made the error to call
Well at least I got to see quads as villain turned over 4-4

It's very interesting to see your thought pattern. Hope it will help me to make a better choice next time

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com