Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

top pair with decent kicker

Old
top pair with decent kicker - Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
do you think my sizes are fine? and what about the river its beter to bet and fold to a raise? the villian is a 58 vpip and 0 pfr trough 20 hands

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:53 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi scarface763,

Small sample of stats but I'd go with "passive" with 0% pfr the villain possibly is a calling station.

As played I'd maybe bet turn a bit more than 1/2 pot and on the river bet fold. Personally I don't like doing river bet folds in this situation without good history.

I think a pair that calls and hits a set pre flop, even a passive player, will raise the turn? So now excluding sets I'm thinking 88 got there. But at these stakes basically any Q9s+ is calling pre and will call you down AQ or 2 pair.

I'm so bad at hand reading never had them on 66. Actually you may not even be raised on the river (if you had bet it) by this player when they hit their set.

PS.

Just had another tank on this at 1c/2c. Saving money on a calling station by not betting turn! Our 1 pair hand has only 1 or 2 streets of value. May get a free card and also improve. Bet fold to a raise on the river.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: PS

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Just bet/fold the river, as you were thinking about doing. You'll usually get value from not only a worse queen but possibly 2nd/3rd pair as well. As played, check-call seems fine but I don't think that you can expect a 5x/0 to bluff the river very often so I'd just keep doing the betting myself.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com