Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Not sure of this fold of mine

Old
Not sure of this fold of mine - Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

Not sure about my fold here... somehow.
Villain was a 34/16 (35), the other similar.
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...079_A84C754887

I am considering :
- should've shoved pre ?
- should've continued (calling the small Cbet, with a plan to shove turn on whatever card) - given his wide range - but the rainbow flop ?
-check-shove the flop ?
-folding pre-flop did not cross my mind

Thanks,
Shoim o/

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:00 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
Hey, this is actually a very nice hand, given how you played it. You are trying to isolate vs. a loose player in position, however someone calls behind you. What's actually relevant when trying to make an iso raise when not on the BTN is looking at the players acting behind you. What's their image? How's yours? I liked the iso, and the c/f on the flop =)

But it's much better to just fold here in this turbo and wait for a better spot. You have 10bbs, it's a shove stack not a postflop stack. Fold pre, sadly, but kudos for acting on your stats/reads.

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved to Tournament Hand Analysis **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:26 PM
(#4)
Theory says 2/3 times a flop is missed. (considering the villain(-s) in this case are not holding a pocket pair) which I didn't think they would, otherwise (given their stacks and stats) would've played more aggressively.
I am putting now, after a great deal of thought, the villain with the small cbet, on an A high with a busted flop, and frankly me, as a
But it's nice to get opinions

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 07:17 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by TarekGG; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi shoim

I like to fold preflop although shoving is an option, but I think we get the best results if we fold. We shouldn't be looking to iso raise preflop with a stack as small as ours because it will often get us in bad situations 'quite like the one here '. Post flop we only have a pot sized bet left so we ought to be shoving or folding and I would elect to fold our hand every time. We are up against 2 players so the likely hood of one of them flopping better than us is very high, and even if our pair of 8's are good at the moment 'which is rare', there's a good chance they wont be good by the time we get to showdown.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:09 AM
(#7)
Hey Chris,

Ty for the input mate, indeed - the best option in this case would've been to pick on of the 2 choices pre-flop : fold or shove (and pray ). I guess I thought at the time that because my stats were showing TAG they would notice and I had a chance of a cheap steal. This hand was a mistake on my part.

Cheers,
Bogdan o/

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com