25nl - River decision w/ blockers

Old
25nl - River decision w/ blockers - Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats

VPIP: 21, PFR: 18, 3B: 9, AF: 2.5, Hands: 280

Pretty interesting hand vs a 25nl reg.

Think calling flop is ok given he'll cbet with most of his range and we most likely have 2 clean over outs.

Turn is standard.

River brings a BD flush and he keeps betting. I don't think we can call profitably vs his triple barreling range.

I think we should be jamming here? We block flushes and boats, and we shouldn't be bluffing here much.

Last edited by birdayy; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Honestly I don't think we need a bluff range in this spot. If we were to have a bluff range this hand might make sense to include if not for the fact that its a great bluff-catcher itself for the very reasons its blockers make a good bluff-shove in your book. A bluff-shove should have blockers and can't beat some air, so K9ss comes to mind.

In any case, villain's don't triple barrel and fold here often enough for this to be profitable at 25nl in my estimation. Villain's don't go nuts on A high boards even in blind v blind.

Do you think villain is bet/folding an ace here very often?

If you didn't think calling river was profitable that certainly means it because you perceive villain's river betting range as strong. At 25nl we should be bluffing weakness, not strength. I think that's the bottom line. The reason we don't bluff strength is because villains don't hand read for better hands and if they do hand read for a better hand they will often call anyways because they are undisciplined.

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:04 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
Honestly I don't think we need a bluff range in this spot. If we were to have a bluff range this hand might make sense to include if not for the fact that its a great bluff-catcher itself for the very reasons its blockers make a good bluff-shove in your book.
But you said...

Quote:
Villain's don't go nuts on A high boards even in blind v blind.
Quote:
Do you think villain is bet/folding an ace here very often?
A thinking player should recognise that a naked Ax is towards the bottom of his value range on this river. He can have small flushes which are ahead of Ax that should also fold to this shove.

Obviously my aim is to move up to bigger and tougher games.

May I ask what this line would be like at 100nl vs a player like you Gareth?

Last edited by birdayy; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Most of the players at 100nl, including regulars, are losing to the rake (or the field), it is worth noting. Among the regs I would also say that very few play "like me."

In any case, I would fold often to your river shove with AX.

No reason to bluff strength here though. Bluffing strength seldom works in tougher games at higher stakes. As per my first reply, counting on villains to both hand read and to ave the discipline to follow through on that hand reading when they have an absolutely strong hand in a spot like blind v blind will wind you up in trouble more often than it will get you out of a bind.

That's just my opinion on it.

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:19 AM
(#5)
Thanks G.

Appreciate your thoughts and the fact you're still around after becoming a high stakes donkament crusher.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com