Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl FR zoom, call or fold to river shove

Old
5nl FR zoom, call or fold to river shove - Sat Feb 01, 2014, 01:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
Two hands where I faced a shove on the river with a big pocket pair. I think calling these river all-ins is a big leak in my play...

First hand I have KK, get called from small blind, no stats or reads. When I shoves the river I know I am up against either a set or Q9, possibly AQ which I am beating, but either way I think this should be a fold.

Second hand I have QQ and hit top set. Villain is 23/14 from 22 hands (and I have a note saying he has played draws aggressively). The board comes low and straighty. This time I think I have to call the river shove, he could be shoving with a lower set, possibly ever KK/AA slowplayed, the only hand with an 8 that plays this way is 88 or Q8 (unlikely as I have the queens).

Thoughts?

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 08:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kisobel,

Please post 1 hand to a thread, it's easier to follow discussion.

I actually think folding in both cases is fine. I feel stronger about the 2nd hand tbh... the only set that makes any sense is 66, all other sets I would expect to be raising earlier in the hand. It just looks like a spot to me where we get shown 88 a ton, or T8s. The first hand it's like really, the 9 helped you? But a hand like T9 does make sense, as well as 9hXh. In both cases the big river shove looks like pure value to me. KK is easier to fold than top set for sure, but in the latter hand I really think his value range is only 88 and T8 and he's just very unlikely to show up with anything else.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com