Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl zoom 6m - TP on wet board vs casual, not sure where I stand ... river line?

Old
10nl zoom 6m - TP on wet board vs casual, not sure where I stand ... river line? - Sat Feb 01, 2014, 05:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This is kind of a fun hand ...

Am interested to hear peoples' thoughts, since sometimes it's hard to see things in your own hand? This isn't a line I usually take, so if people think it was sub-optimal, please feel free to say so - would really appreciate the honesty.

Thought the villain's most likely holding was Qx? Although it seemed like J9 (for the straight) or a small flush was an outside possibility. But didn't think it too likely the villain had a boat, which is what I guess I was trying to represent?

Guess I just wasn't too sure about the villain's kicker, if the villain had Qx - whether mine was ahead, or whether KQ might be tied or even behind ... felt like AQ and KQ would fold to a shove?

But you think maybe it would have been better to just call behind? Or re-raise (with the intention of folding to a shove), in case the villain had a lesser kicker ... or a better hand, including a better kicker, and didn't fold?

Had to re-install Windows a couple of days ago, which meant having to set up ALL my PokerStars settings from scratch - think that's got me a little out of sorts ... hence this atypical river shove. You think it was maybe sub-optimal?

Thanks so much for the help everybody - eager to hear peoples' thoughts

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Feb 01, 2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 08:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Sam,

I tend to agree that villain is pretty heavy in Qx here. I don't think we can tell this from the flop donk bet, because players do that with draws sometimes, but when the clubs come in and he bets small, it looks a lot more like QJ/Q9 to me, maybe KQ. Villain continued to your raise however so I'm guessing they felt like they had outs, QJ/Q9 perhaps with the J or 9 clubs. The river bet looks like a last ditch attempt to get the hand to showdown for what they think it's worth. Since you can beat pretty much all their Qx hands except KQ which you tie, I would probably just call here. On the chance we're mistaken. If however we held just the naked Ac, or a hand like AcTh, then I think there's a decent case for turning it into a bluff and moving in like this as I think he's only donking the river for $1.50 to avoid having to check/call a value bet of $2.50-$3.00, and with that mindset for the villain I expect this raise to get tons of folds.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:37 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi Sam,

The @TheLangolier is in before me, so not going to do any ranging.

But sometimes I generalize opponents on bet sizing. Then we can confirm our line by telling a story if the villain is listening and at 10NL maybe they are?

I like that you stick to your guns and represent strength all the way. The spew thing I may do is raise the flop donk bet, any takers on that idea?

At first the lead bet size looks strongish. We need to protect a marginal spot where we can represent a better pre flop hand or draw in a non 3-bet pot with a villain calling sb oop.

As played the turn bet is the same size as the donk lead and so ( IMO now bad bet sizing and no stack top up, reads? ) "raise it up" as you did. Glad you stuck with it on the river and got the fold.

Old
Sun Feb 02, 2014, 07:55 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
haha - thought there was a chance the river shove might get some likes

Although Dave makes a great point - KQ is a hand we don't mind showing down. Never thought of shoving with Ac, although I've had people do it to me - my LeakBuster program's been encouraging me to bluff a little more, so maybe that's the kind of thing I could try out next?

On a good day, I'm not the most patient person - so on a not great day ... guess this villain's persistent little mini-donk bets must have gotten on my last nerve. Think that was responsible for my choice of line more than anything, so ... am really glad it worked too - may have dodged a bullet there

Thought about raising the flop Forrest Sometimes I would in that spot - guess I thought by checking behind, that'd give me the chance to see what the villain did on the turn? Although, you point out some really good reasons for why a raise might be preferable. Hmmm ... maybe this is one of those spots where there was more than one way to play, hopefully?

You both noticed stuff I didn't - that the villain's turn bet was the same size as the flop bet, and that for the villain to call my re-raise probably meant a Qx hand with a club. Think I was a little more worried about a straight or a flush than I should have been because of that, and that might have been part of what compelled me to shove.

Must have really been playing my c-game yesterday - hopefully I can do a little better today ... otherwise I may be back with more hands like this one lol

Thanks so much for the feedback Dave, Forrest - was great to hear your thoughts on the hand ... as always, it gave me a lot to think about, and I learned a lot!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 12:22 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Dave, Forrest

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Dave, Forrest

If i was v5 and i know you bet your flushes on the turn i would snap call Qx

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 03:53 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
If i was v5 and i know you bet your flushes on the turn i would snap call Qx
It's a lot easier to bluff-catch when you can see the bluffer's hole cards, isn't it?

The villain's a profitable, straight-forward playing reg ... not sure why he check-called the flop rather than bet out, but he could just as easily be doing it with KQ, KJ, KT in addition to QJ, AQ. So when the turn bricks, I wouldn't double-barrel versus this villain since there's a fair number of hands in his range he wouldn't be folding.

Although you know what, as a general rule I'm not that crazy about bluffing regs when there's so many other players in the pool that are easier to win pots against - just because the regs are all so smart. Like it's just always seemed like it's a lot more EV to keep things really straight-forward and simple versus the better players?

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Feb 09, 2014 at 04:15 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com