Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 SH - Massive multiway pot, nuts on turn facing bet.

Old
NL10 SH - Massive multiway pot, nuts on turn facing bet. - Mon Feb 03, 2014, 03:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $11.34 (113.4 bb)
SB: $21.45 (214.5 bb)
BB: $6.42 (64.2 bb)
MP: $53.81 (538.1 bb)
Hero (CO): $19.05 (190.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J T
MP raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.50, BTN folds, SB calls $0.45, BB raises to $1, MP calls $0.80, Hero calls $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Flop: ($4.10) K A 3 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets $2, MP calls $2, Hero calls $2, SB folds

Turn: ($10.10) Q (3 players)
BB bets $3.40 and is all-in, MP calls $3.40, Hero raises to $9, MP calls $5.60

River: ($31.50) Q (3 players, 1 is all-in)
MP checks, Hero checks

Results:
Click to show hidden text

I put a small reraise on the flop to isolate as initial raiser is fish, but more importantly guy to my left has the button and has a 3bet% there of 11% and this is a great opportunity for him to bet so I wanted to shut him out.

My thinking was I didn't want to shove so he folds out his strong hand, rather reraise such that he is pot committed by the river and shove there. I check back as there are too many fh combos now and he could easily have checked it expecting me to bet given my aggression. Should I have just shoved the turn?

Last edited by pockettones; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 03:26 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 03, 2014, 08:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi pockettones

I'm not sure I like the 3bet preflop. We have a hand that can play well multiway and with the stack depth I'd prefer just calling if I plan to play this hand vs a MP open. You do have some sound reasoning why you 3bet because of the player behind you but I'm not sure if our raise is a value 3bet or a bluff 3bet. Though you have labelled the initial raiser as a recreational player I'm not sure what worse hands can they call with when we 3bet them. As played, there is 16.9$ in the pot and we have ~12$ when we call the turn bet so I would rather get the rest in OTT because we can get called by two pairs, and sets but some of those hands might fold to a scare river card specifically a heart.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 03:18 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2013
Okies thanks. I 3bet mainly to isolate as I expect recreational players to call very wide and also make lots of calling mistakes postflop if I make a strong hand.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 04:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
I think flatting is better to invite the btn is who looks like a fish.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com