Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom AQs vs large 3bet BNvsBL

Old
10NL Zoom AQs vs large 3bet BNvsBL - Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Villain 30/20 (10hands). Was playing from mobile device.

I opened 2.5x from the button and got 3bet to 12BB.
In here I chose fold as 0 EV play. Is there a point for calling here as most of the time I will miss the flop and making plays (against fishy player) in bloated pot is sure way to lose money.

And overall how to take larger than average 3bets from unknowns in micros. With weak hands its easy fold, but playing JJ-QQ and AQs+, AK is a bit more challenging.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 12:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
Because he is unknown and he his 3bet is so ridiculously large I would fold. If I had a read that he was super spewy I would call here, hit top pair or better and try stack him and otherwise fold if I miss.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 09:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
This is a bad fold. Sorry.

Mobile users are fish unless proven otherwise. I thought the thread would be about whether we should 4b/call, not folding or calling lol.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I think AQs is one of the few hands that is good enough to call with in position.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:50 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
This is a bad fold. Sorry.

Mobile users are fish unless proven otherwise. I thought the thread would be about whether we should 4b/call, not folding or calling lol.
Quite a big assumption that all mobile users are fishes... The only advantage we know of is they are not aided with a HUD. Folding is bad, but isn't 4b/call worst? I personally will call his 3bet IP and take a flop as I think 4bet/folding is just as bad

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTaKazer View Post
Quite a big assumption that all mobile users are fishes...
Over a fairly large sample size i'm convinced that my assumption is correct,

Quote:
Folding is bad, but isn't 4b/call worst? I personally will call his 3bet IP and take a flop as I think 4bet/folding is just as bad
I agree that calling is the best play but it can never be that bad getting in AQs btn vs blind.

Calling > 4bet/calling > folding.

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 01:46 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey MintDeal,

in general AQs is a way too strong hand to be giving up OTB against a 3-bet from the blinds as your typical blind 3-bettor will be on a wide range and AQs has good equity even against the better hands you will be up against.

However in this case I feel like an argument for an exploitable fold can be made if you feel like you may be making costly postflop mistakes against too strong of a range in a bloated pot when you make top pair (which you will flop most of the time with this hand). So if you feel like the average opponent at your stakes will be nut'd up here too often and you will be put in a spot postflop where you can make more mistakes than he is likely to be making, with that size I don't think folding can be too big of a mistake.

Live Trainer

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 06:35 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Quite a big assumption that all mobile users are fishes... The only advantage we know of is they are not aided with a HUD.
Mobile phone/tablet users might not necessarily all be fishes, but in my experience they tend to play more loose passive than the general population.

Why would you play on your phone instead of on your computer? It's normally because you're not at home - You're bored at work, or you're commuting on the train/bus, or you're waiting for someone to meet you some place.

So you decide to fire up Pokerstars and play a few hands to kill some time. You aren't probably in the mindset to be folding too often, you want to make a quick buck by betting people off hands or getting lucky and spike a flop.

Of course good players also use phones/tablets, but they will likely have turned the feature off where it displays that they are on a phone/tablet and you can probably spot these guys anyway.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com