Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

First hand $1 180 SNG

Old
First hand $1 180 SNG - Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
No reads since this is the first hand. I usually try play really tight the first few levels, is this call too loose for the beginning of a tournament?

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 05:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
I think the call pre is fine, as long as you don't get carried away post-flop since it is multiway.. or maybe even to further raising action preflop with the villains behind.

With an A and a broadway and 2 tone flop, you need to play this flop hard n fast, which you do so

I'd be making the raise on the flop a little smaller.. 550-600 would get the same response as 720. But by doing a smaller sizing it sets up the turn for a jam 2/3-3/4 of the pot, rather than 1/2 pot.

Bet sizing may/may not have been trivial with this villain.. but vs regs or a thinking villain, this is more important.

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 09:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Call pre, raise-flop, stack off with second nuts. All totally standatory.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 03:12 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2013
the only thing i can add is a lil analogy (i loves em)

bet sizing is a bit like positioning the cueball in snooker/pool - sometimes it's fine to smash it in and not worry, but other times you want to line up the cueball (pot size) ready for your next shot (turn shove)

i hope that makes sense XD

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 01:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi joy7108

The guys have given some great input already. All that I can add to this is that you may want to raise smaller on the flop. When you raise as much as you did it sends out signal to the players behind us that we are not folding our hands no matter what happens.

Calling on the flop is an option too but I feel that there are a lot of turn cards that can scare either you or the original better away from the hand, so I think raising the flop is the best line to get the money in.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 07:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Thanks for all your comments. I don't remember why I re-raised so big, but it probably had a lot to do with 2 broadway hearts on the flop. I did feel pot committed even with a smaller re-raise, so wanted to get rid of the other two callers. I thought this sizing might discourage the original raiser as well, but it turns out I was wrong about that:

Sick cooler, but that's poker! On to the next game.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com