Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

77 with 14BB - didn't ship - what to do on flop?

Old
77 with 14BB - didn't ship - what to do on flop? - Wed Feb 05, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Normally I would just ship this hand preflop over loose passive limpers with big stacks that I still have some fold equity against.

Here I flatted preflop.

I was thinking maybe the short stack behind on 4BB might get all-in and one of the big stacks might call and then fold if I reshipped.

All the big stacks I had position on (v7/v8/v9) were playing 30+/10

Or I could have limp/folded pre if the big stacks behind went over the top and I was up against a couple of bigger stacks.

Bit fancy play syndrome really - think I should have shipped it.

But - as played - nobody raises preflop and in position everybody(3 players)checks to me on an ace high flop. Ace is the only overcard to my pair.

Should I bet now?

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 07:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I would shove after a limper or limpers with just 14BB's I don't have space post flop, I don't have implied odds to set mining. If I think UTG slow played something than folding pre is better .

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 02:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ed!

I think you nailed this one... fancy play syndrome.

IMO, when the opp limps, the best decision that I can make is to ship 77 here. There are too many scare cards that can come (half of the deck is higher) and when multiple of them hit with multiple opps, I won't know where I'm at and can easily be beat.

If I had TT or JJ and wanted to be tricky, then I may make a standard raise, then be ready to shove ANY flop. But, the lower my pair is, the worse this play becomes due to more overs that can hit the board and if an opp hits top pair, they're most likely never folding to my shove.

As played, I'm shipping the flop, but unfortunately wouldn't be surprised to see one of the three opps call with A/rag (which my shove preflop might get to fold). If they all fold, I'm gaining almost 50% to my remaining chips and even if it would be only about 20-25% gain, I'd still shove here.

The best play though, is to shove preflop with a middle pair.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Ed!

I think you nailed this one... fancy play syndrome.

IMO, when the opp limps, the best decision that I can make is to ship 77 here. There are too many scare cards that can come (half of the deck is higher) and when multiple of them hit with multiple opps, I won't know where I'm at and can easily be beat.

If I had TT or JJ and wanted to be tricky, then I may make a standard raise, then be ready to shove ANY flop. But, the lower my pair is, the worse this play becomes due to more overs that can hit the board and if an opp hits top pair, they're most likely never folding to my shove.

As played, I'm shipping the flop, but unfortunately wouldn't be surprised to see one of the three opps call with A/rag (which my shove preflop might get to fold). If they all fold, I'm gaining almost 50% to my remaining chips and even if it would be only about 20-25% gain, I'd still shove here.

The best play though, is to shove preflop with a middle pair.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Cheers John

Pretty much as I thought - overall best policy would have been to ship 77 preflop (which I would usually tend towards) - as played I did take it down by betting on the flop instead.

Got away with it but it immediately struck me as a mistake that came good.

Thanks for your input.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com