Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Equity in All-in Situations

Old
Equity in All-in Situations - Wed Feb 05, 2014, 10:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
I play mostly 45 and 90 SNGs, and some MTTs. All very microstakes. Honest assessment is I'm break even player, very recreational. Style is TAG.

Question regards my equity in all-in situations, less than 15 BB. I lose 8/10 of these situations when called, even though when I review hands with Equilab I have 60% or better equity in 9/10 situations. So, I know one can have a bad run, but this seems consistent over 100+ games.

I believe the late stage all-in theory is that if I have 50% or better equity I should push (all else being equal at table), and I do (usually as I say with 60%+). But it doesn't seem to be working too well. Advice? Comments?

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KootB!

When I'm looking to shove in these, I'm looking at my hand equity vs the pot equity, not just what % my hand will win. If my hand equity is higher than the pot equity, then it's a +EV play and I will shove. This will not always mean that I'm at 50-60% to win the hand. It could be higher, it could be lower, but the key is that by having my hand equity be higher than my pot equity, I expect to gain chips from the shove.

What I don't want to do is to wait too long to shove, because then the opps will be priced in for lesser and lesser hands and if this happens, I'll lose much more often, as I expect to lose chips on average (even though I may be the favorite in the hand).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com