Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL zoom 6max, is my approach correct?

Old
5NL zoom 6max, is my approach correct? - Wed Feb 05, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Here is a hand I'm not sure I played optimal. Wondering about your oppinions.

I do show the hand of the opponant here, which will be explained when I talk about my thoughtproces in this hand.

Villain: recreational player

VPIP: 46 3B: 9.1 agg 3.3

My thoughprocess:

Preflop:
As his range is extremely wide from the CO, the QJo seems a rather easy call to see a flop.

Flop:
Not the best flop but from my experience recreational players either spazz of chips on these coordinated board, or they avoid it. Obviously against a flopped flush, they'll never get away. But as his range is wide he might aswell have missed it completely.
I call to spike the nuts or a gutshot to the nut straight. I feel raising and gettting it in here often isnt the best case scenario.

Turn:
I get probably the best card, as it's easier to get paid from a straight than a 4card flush. I decided to CR here. I expect flushes and QJ to call or raise here again.
Also I expect 1pair+ gutshots/straightdraws and 2pairs to call most of the time. And crap TP might also call.
Perhaps I should CR a little bigger here, I'm not sure as it might scare away too much of the worse hands.

River:
I was either thinking of shoving here, but realising most hands might fold as its 1card straight there and a shove would look too strong even against a recreational player. As my mindset was already to shove, I fel I could at least get 2pair curious or TP's to call my small bet. Or to get them to turn all other hansd into bluffs. I felt this would be the most profitable concidering he's rather aggressive.

Was this played correctly? Or how would you change the approach? I just can't get away from this hand against such a player.

Last edited by Sentras; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 06, 2014, 05:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Sentras

Though we might have a skill edge over our opponent, we lack the positional advantage and we also fall slightly short on our card advantage. So I think calling with QJo here might be too mediocre even against a weaker opponent. If I'm calling with this hand, I'm probably going to be looking at some leaks in their post flop play. With that I think I would x/r this flop with the NFD, gutshot straight draw and a good amount of fold equity. I think I would also raise the turn bigger so that we have a smaller amount by the river to bet the rest.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com