Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom 88 flopped set multi-way in 3bet pot

Old
10NL Zoom 88 flopped set multi-way in 3bet pot - Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
This is a hand I played last night, towards the very end of a lengthy session, I felt ok with how it played out but I generally take a different line on the flop.

I raise 88 from UTG, get 3bet by the button a caller from the blinds, and I feel I have good implied odds to call and flop a set given the small 3bet size and the call.

Flop is great, I flop my set, the flop is K high. This hits part of the buttons 3betting range, which I think consists mainly of TT+ and AKs/AKo mainly, though some people appear to 3bet much wider I didnt have enough of a sample here to think he was wildly wide.

The caller I think mainly has pairs, broadways.

On the flop, it checks round to the button who cbets, the blind calls, and this is where I often go for a raise to start building the pot for myself. I felt if I did so, I would get the parts of their ranges that missed to fold, but if I called that there would be more action.

What is the best line to take here? I don't have ultra reliable reads, having recently joined this player pool on a part-time basis.

Should I check/raise the flop? Does that smell of being too *****d? The flop is dry, no draws, it stinks of either spew or slowplayed KK/AA and sets.

Should I lead out? I don't like that idea as in a 3bet pot I can reasonably expect to get at least a cbet.

Check/Call? I am likely ahead, and it potentially keeps the blind in the hand.

I've obviously no choice but to get it in on the turn with a misclick in there too. Should have been a reshove.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 06:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2013
Checkraising flop would look too strong on flop into 2 people imo, you don't want to scare them away and there really isn't that much on this flop you need to protect from.
Donkbetting flop I don't like so much but if you think it could get you some spaz equity it might work.
x/c x/c x/r or x/c x/r b/c depending on whether I think both villains would check back river or not, considering they shoved the turn, they made all the choices for you though, life is so easy.

Last edited by Quaquaversal; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 09:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2013
Against a very aggressive opponent heads up I would like flat the flop and allow him to fire another barrel on the turn where I check raise, thereby gaining more value from bluffs he would have folded to a checkraise on the flop. Here I believe a check-raise is superior as it is highly likely either bb or bu has a king given flop texture and action and you want to extract max value. If the button has air he isn't going to barrel the turn anyway. Because this is a multiway 3bet pot and the bb just called, we can make this a -2.5x reraise as we can easily get our stacks in by the river with half pot bets now. After flatting the flop I would lead the turn so we do not risk having it checked around.

Last edited by pockettones; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 06, 2014, 02:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Like how you played it, wouldn't play it any other way really.

The problem with all active options of leading out or check/raising is they look so incredibly strong multiway. In case BU has AK/AA he is most likely going nowhere anyway and if he has an underpair < K or no hand at all I think you will get more folds given that multiway action from you won't really be considered bluffy on a dry board like this.

Live Trainer

Old
Thu Feb 06, 2014, 02:05 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
Thanks guys and Thanks Felix.

Thankfully, they both had AK, and were both drawing dead on the flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com