Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.5 90's AA SB

Old
$2.5 90's AA SB - Thu Feb 06, 2014, 04:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
CO: 36.88 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 9.52, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 23)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=C5605AFFD4

Old
Thu Feb 06, 2014, 12:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sapines1001!

With AA and a limper in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 200 (3BB+1BB for each limper).

The flop is 3 unders (imagine that), but does have a flush and many straight draws. I'm going to make a lead value bet here and the key is the sizing of it. I need to bet 1/2 pot against one opp in order to price out their draws, so I will bet 225. I don't want to bet less than this or I can be giving the opp the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I do so and lose the hand, it's my own fault that I lose.

The opp now raises to 500. While the opp could possibly have a set here, the majority of the time a player will raise like this is with some sort of draw. Since I'm well ahead of anything but a set or combination draw, I'm going to raise here. A standard raise would be to 3X the opp's bet, but since that's the overwhelming majority of my chips, I'm 3-bet shoving the flop.

The key with this hand is the initial flop bet, as I need to make it large enough to make the opp have a -EV play. If I bet too small, especially if an observant opp has a flush draw, they will flat here and beat me on the turn.. because I'd be giving them a +EV play.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com