Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE 9 handed KK vs 44

Old
NLHE 9 handed KK vs 44 - Fri Feb 07, 2014, 03:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=560D563242

question is one , did i play well and had bad beat or i played to agresive.
table 9 handed, in early stages with 25/50 blinds.
i am in middle position with almost 1980 stack size. and played some hands aggressivly without showdown, my image was as tight-aggressive player.
UTG call and UTG+1 fold i decide to raise 3bet+limp, so i raised 200 and everyone folded to BB who caled. i get dry flop with flush draw and gutshot straight possibility.he check and the action goes on me, i decide to bet 2/3 of pot and he decide to raise almost 3 times of my bet. So than i thinked that he has a flush draw of his check-raise. SO i decide to move all-in he call, he showes set.

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Tommy nolimt!

What type of tourney is this from? It could have an impact on my reply.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:14 PM
(#3)
it is 1,10$ baltic poker league.

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Tommy nolimt!

With KK and a limper in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 200 chips. I want to make all of my bets and raises standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand.

I get called by the BB and get a flop that contains a flush and straight draws. When the opp checks to me, I once again want to make a standard bet and with 1 opp in the hand, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 238. Once again, I want to keep my bets standard, as players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I want to avoid.

I now get a smaller than normal raise from the opp (standard would be to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise if the pot-sized raise is larger). Here is why I asked what type of tournament this was from.....

If this were a PSO league or any league where an early exit gets me negative league points, then I need to flat here and be sure that another club nor straight card hits the board. In this type of league, I do not want to be all-in unless I'm sure that I have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board and currently, I only have one pair.

If this were a cash tourney or league that awards only positive points based on my finish, then I'm going to 3-bet jam the flop. I'm ahead of all of the flush/straight draws or overcards, but behind two pair or a set. In this type of game, with no penalty, jamming is the highest +EV play that I can make.

This hand is a definite cooler, but in a cash tourney or league that does not give out negative points, it's a risk that is well worth the reward. In a league that does give out negative points for an early exit, then the negative points are not worth the chips that I can gain, so I'd need to flat and muck to a shove by the opp on a later street if my hand does not improve.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:50 PM
(#5)
thank you for information.
It helped me to understand more.

Old
Great Response, John - Fri Feb 07, 2014, 07:10 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar

Tommy No-Limit, I think JWK5's response is solid and I learn a lot by following his blogs.

And all the best to you, Tommy!

Ellen

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com