Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom, Dominated Full House

Old
2nl Zoom, Dominated Full House - Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:43 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Hey everyone!

I'm having trouble getting the re-player to work so I'm just going to type out what happened. Looking for some feedback. I had a weird gut feeling that I was dominated but still couldn't make the lay down. Looking to see what you guys think and if you would chalk it up to a bad beat, or if I should have seen it coming.

Unknown villan:
SB: $2.60

Hero: QcKc
BB: $2.00

Play:

PRE-FLOP:

UTG open raises to 0.04

Folds to SB. SB raises to 0.14

Hero BB Calls

UTG folds

FLOP: 3c Qh Ac Pot = 0.32

Villan bets 0.23.
Hero Calls

TURN: Qs Pot: 0.78
Villan Checks
Hero bets: 0.39
Villan calls

RIVER: Kd Pot: 1.56
Villain shoves remaining 1.85
Hero calls with 1.24

Results:
Villain Full House Queens full of Aces
Hero: Full House Queens full of Kings

Villain wins pot 4.04

This hand kind of tilted me, because obviously I flopped amazing, the villain just flopped better. Wondering if I should have folded pre-flop or on the river. Also not sure about my turn bet sizing.

Thanks in advance!

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 07:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
Unless the villain has a really small 3-bet range like 5% and under I think you can call here. Typically I will give more respect to a squeeze against an utg open but in 2NL lots of players do not have much positional awareness. Your hand is fairly strong but it is ofc dominated by AK, AQ and QQ+ so against an unknown I'd rather just fold and avoid sticky spots - but again you have position so it is much easier for you to play so calling isn't too bad. I would just fold this flop, unless I know villain is really spewy then Im pretty much bluffp-catching. Turn played fine, I would have bet more to get value from AJ/AK. River is a fold imo, AK makes up quite a lot of range and quite possible he tried to trap with AQ or AA on turn. Really don't think he will shove bluff a missed club draw given you have displayed strength by calling flop and betting turn especially on such a connected board.

Last edited by pockettones; Fri Feb 07, 2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 08, 2014, 05:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi Shane, thanks for posting your hand in the forums!

In future though, please don't post the results, they make the hand much more difficult to analyse objectively.

I think your biggest mistake in this hand came preflop. I understand what pocketones is saying that some villains in 2NL aren't positionally aware, but I'm not willing to make marginal calls like this without some reads. FWIW the SB isn't squeezing as nobody called the UTG's original raise.

The problem with calling with KQ is that the SB's range is likely going to be very strong and the UTG's range could also potentially be strong and your hand could easily be dominated.

I think calling the flop is best, you have a pair + flush draw, you could easily improve. You've got too strong a hand to fold and if you raise, he's not going to fold AK or AA, you might get to fold out KK but that's it.

You hit a great turn. I think your bet size is fine as it sets up an easy river shove.

You have the worst full house possible on the river and while this could easily be an overplayed AK, I think it's very close as to whether you'll have the best hand 30% of the time or not.

Like I said though, it was the preflop call that led to this very tough decision on later streets in the first place.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com