Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

tournament play hitting the wall

Old
tournament play hitting the wall - Sat Feb 08, 2014, 06:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
My tournament play goes something like this -
Start off nice and easy and slowly build up a pot with maybe one , two or three big pot wins when I hit good cards. Tournament moves on into the cut off stages and I am doing ok with decent stack size - then comes what seems to be a usual pattern of play which i call hitting the wall - for about 30 to 50 hands I get virtually non playable hole cards, low, non connectors, off suit etc.....then comes a whole series of AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ and the like, trouble I cant win one more hand no matter what. I have noticed that this also happens to other players, decent stack size then wham ! they start to lose every hand they play. A popular one seems to be a pocket pair, hit trips with the flop, player bets so raise with a 3/4bet and other player shoves - calling the shove shows other player holding nothing...........until turn and river gives them a straight or flush..............anyways the beats come in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that some point I cant win one more single hand - I do know when to fold and play patiently !
Anyone experienced the same play or got advice on how to play when this happens ?

Old
Sat Feb 08, 2014, 10:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
welcome to poker... its hard to give advice without knowing certain variables, the stucture, how the hand has unfolded etc etc. just analyze your game, the trainers and fellow players here are awesome when it comes to offering their FREE help, so i suggest utilizing hand analysis in the forum for a start and go from there

Old
Sat Feb 08, 2014, 12:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
I've been fighting with the same problem. Good start, make it close to bubble no problem and then it all goes wrong. Yet another min cash or bubble.

Guess what I'm doing is getting to tight when I'm getting deep. What looks like a playable hand early on looks to scary to play when the money is in sight. I do try not to look at the lobby, but you know when the bubble is coming when the short stacks start clocking.

Once you get across the line people start playing marginal hands. Que the bad beats and suck outs.

Good players with big stacks will smell you fear. Fight back! You may bubble more often, but you'll give yourself a chance of going much deeper. In it to win it, not min cash!

All sounds good. Although I'm still a serial min casher, so maybe you should ignore me.

Good luck

Old
Sat Feb 08, 2014, 07:21 PM
(#4)
steveisnot - yep i have already been thru the same thought process wondering if my game changes as the bubble approaches so have deliberately avoided looking at the lobby and playing cards as I normally would, I have found that it makes little or no difference. Also analysed if I started playing too loose in order to get deeper into the tourney so kinda started checking with myself before I made any bets/raises, this again made no difference. That tourney wall always comes and yep guess i am also a serial min casher....grrrrrrrr
thanks for comments and good luck at the tables

Old
Sat Feb 08, 2014, 08:34 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey all!

I used to have the same problem.... and it sounds like you're right on target as to why.... as most of us tighten up near the bubble, when we should be playing much looser and look to accumulate chips. I know this is something that I've worked on extensively in my game over the last couple years. I'm cashing in slightly less tourneys, but instead of the min-cashes, I'm either going out or getting chips for a deep run.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 08:15 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
Forgot to say that as you get deeper the player are (for the most part) getting better.

Plenty of clowns early on throwing chips about makes it easy to catch them.

Figure I'm as good or even a little better than 70-85% (on a good day. In micro MTT's) of the Field. The top 10-15% make me look silly.

Back to the training videos.

Thanks JWK. Glad I wasn't talking complete frollocks.

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 03:37 PM
(#7)
you have mis read the problem - the problem exists because :
1. no matter what cards i get
2. or how i play them
3. or what the table situation is - position, pot size, stack size, No. of players in hand, checks raises etc
I cant win a hand !
lets say for example hole cards are AK off suite, 2 other players have bet your 3B raise. Flop turns KK4 all off suite. You raise with 5B, first player folds other player shoves all in........do you fold KKK with A kicker or call the shove ?
this is just an example but the kind of hand where once 'the wall' has been hit the hand will not win - or maybe your vids will advise to fold the above situation ?

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 10:22 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneYard66 View Post
you have mis read the problem - the problem exists because :
1. no matter what cards i get
2. or how i play them
3. or what the table situation is - position, pot size, stack size, No. of players in hand, checks raises etc
I cant win a hand !
lets say for example hole cards are AK off suite, 2 other players have bet your 3B raise. Flop turns KK4 all off suite. You raise with 5B, first player folds other player shoves all in........do you fold KKK with A kicker or call the shove ?
this is just an example but the kind of hand where once 'the wall' has been hit the hand will not win - or maybe your vids will advise to fold the above situation ?
This is starting to sound very familiar - it's called a downswing, and they can be extremely demoralizing. No matter how good your hand, even if it's the nuts, somehow the runner runner cards fill in your opponents hand.

I won't tell you it's easy to get through these bad times, because it's not. Learning to deal with these situations is very critical to your development as a player. Learn to analyze your decisions without allowing results to distort your perceptions.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com