Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

How I feel after 30+ bad beats within 27 games

Old
Thumbs down
How I feel after 30+ bad beats within 27 games - Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
Hi All,

What to do after a bad beat? How would you feel with 30 bad beats in 27 games putting you out 20 of them. Most of the time with the best hand pre-flop or post flop. How can you not go insane?

As you may know, ALLIN's are frequent in low stakes and a specially in sitngo's and freeroll's. When you are dealing with all ins from players 85% of the time, and put you ALLIN with the worst possible hands pre-flop or post flop even if you have the best hand. And they still hit it, you just want to hit the walls and give up on online poker and say WTF.

I would like to share a short resume with of my loses on ''Pokerstars''. Starting off good last week, this week is not starting so well with an endless count of loses, so far 100plus games and counting. This feeling of lose is almost like you've been rapped by the worst idiots on earth, because you know you have been playing your best and your loses has been drivin only by the luck of your opponants. Let's start! But please, share your worst loses and bad beats too. How do you feel about it, and what do you do to cool off when you've lost so many times.

--INTRODUCTION--
My name is Josh, and I live in Toronto, Canada.
I first registered on pokerstars in December 2013, but have been playing poker for over 5years now. Lately I've been playing mainly from 0.02$ up to 1.50$max sitngos, and enter the MTT's through 0.70$-1.20$ satellites or do the regulars at 0.55-1.10$.

--STATS--
My first deposit was 70$ and have been grinding in the green, with an all time high of 150$ until end of January. Since february it has been dropping dramatically to 20$, and then I was able to build it back up again to 50$, and then a series of loses has put me to an all time low of 10$.
I am approaching 2000 games total, with 325 of them being victories, and 35% of the time being in the money, 10k plus in tournament leader board points for 2014, with around 5% making it to the final table with an average of 1330 players in the tournaments.

--STYLE--
I am tight aggressive player and don't like to play all in lottery early in the tournament, and avoid preflop unless the someone is constantly doing it. I see the importance of picking the right spots and play different styles accordingly, and not commit my self to much to the pot when I'm at risk of being beat. I play tight when everyone is aggressive, and play aggressive when everyone plays tight.

--Online NL Hold Em--
I feel the more players come to play poker, the more it becomes out of control: 10 ALLINs in a row, ALLIN on the flop with bottom pairs, ALLIN on the turn with a flush or straight draw (and some times hits it), ALLIN or 6-bet with 72 or/23 pre-flop, check and then re-raise ALLIN on the flop... Maybe it's just me, but it seems I am running way to frequently on that kind of play. It becomes at one point unpredictable, and increasingly tough to compete in those circumstances.
Some times to raise big pre-flop with AK suited, and end up with 5 people in the pot which is ridiculous, not everyone will flop something...and then someone goes all in just for the sake of it.

--ONE HAND EXPOSED--

Basically in this one, I raise preflop with KK, with two people calling, I'm last to act and on the flop someone went all in with bottom pair and no draws the other calls with AJ no pair no draws but two over cards. And I call with KK.

PokerStars Hand #111567586040: Tournament #858004193, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level III (40/80) - 2014/02/09 17:21:15 ET
Table '858004193 842' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Gepard87 (2650 in chips)
Seat 2: MirtaBalma (840 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: Uengeance (3000 in chips)
Seat 4: TrippyTricks (2471 in chips)
Seat 5: pinokiN0 (1320 in chips)
Seat 6: dimichdim.16 (1230 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: Vikkosik (16569 in chips)
Seat 8: Gascoins (1590 in chips)
Seat 9: Dörrmeee (7350 in chips) is sitting out
Vikkosik: posts small blind 40
Gascoins: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TrippyTricks [Kh Ks]
Dörrmeee: folds
Gepard87: folds
MirtaBalma: folds
Uengeance: raises 160 to 240
TrippyTricks: calls 240
pinokiN0 has timed out
pinokiN0: folds
dimichdim.16: folds
pinokiN0 is sitting out
pinokiN0 has returned
Vikkosik: folds
Gascoins: calls 160
*** FLOP *** [8h 3d 6c]
Gascoins: bets 1350 and is all-in
Uengeance: calls 1350
TrippyTricks: raises 881 to 2231 and is all-in
Uengeance: calls 881
*** TURN *** [8h 3d 6c] [9d]
*** RIVER *** [8h 3d 6c 9d] [4s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Uengeance: shows [Jh Ah] (high card Ace)
TrippyTricks: shows [Kh Ks] (a pair of Kings)
TrippyTricks collected 1762 from side pot
Gascoins: shows [3h 4h] (two pair, Fours and Threes)
Gascoins collected 4810 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6572 Main pot 4810. Side pot 1762. | Rake 0
Board [8h 3d 6c 9d 4s]
Seat 1: Gepard87 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: MirtaBalma folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Uengeance showed [Jh Ah] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 4: TrippyTricks showed [Kh Ks] and won (1762) with a pair of Kings
Seat 5: pinokiN0 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: dimichdim.16 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Vikkosik (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Gascoins (big blind) showed [3h 4h] and won (4810) with two pair, Fours and Threes
Seat 9: Dörrmeee folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TrippyTricks!

The KK hand is NOT a bad beat and here's why. KK called preflop and by not re-raising, the blind only had to call 160 chips into a pot of 760 (21%). Even a bad hand like 34 against two opps has about 24% equity.

Therefore, by not re-raising, the player with 34 made a +EV play (one where they expect to gain chips on average) by calling. This is a big mistake.

With a made hand, I want to make my bets so that the opps have a -EV play (one where they lose chips on average).. not a play where they expect to WIN chips from me.

The hand was lost due to betting the hand very badly. With KK, I need to make a standard re-raise preflop, which is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise (if it's larger). I absolutely must raise to at least 720 preflop. However, there is then another consideration that comes into play. Raising to 720 is putting almost 1/3 of my stack into the pot, which means that if I do so, I'm pot-committed and cannot ever fold.....

With this being the case, the best decision that I can make in this hand is to SHOVE preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. When making bets, I want all of my bets to be standard, regardless of what cards that I have. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid. Also, slowplaying big hands will normally lead to one thing... trapping myself and due to this, I want to be aggressive with them and to have the opp have to make a negative play to call my bets.. not to bet too small or check and give them the correct odds to beat me. If I give them the right odds and lose the hand, it's my own fault that I lose.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:05 AM
(#3)
Hi John,

Thank you so much for your advice. Your right, I should of shoved pre-flop. Indeed my stack was too low to re-raise so shoving is better, there was an other factor that I did not indicate. The player that shoved has been playing and shoving with junk hands all along and stealing blinds. Ex: He has(A9), me (AK), board KJ9 and he shoves I call, turn KJ94, river KJ949. I've lost so many times with KK's again hands like A5 or suited hands that I wanted to play it wise and cautious a specially with a raise infront of me. Also there was aprox 2000 players left in the POKER SCHOOL OPEN LEAGUE tournament and wanted to make it in the top 500(ended up 620th), as all positive points help me make it the TOP on the monthly leader board(currently in the top 500).

It is very hard to play against players that shove 85% of the time in those tournaments, it's very hard to build your stack up when most pots requires you needing to commit your hole stack..(lottery) Should I play their game and play shove, it hasn't worked so far. Playing tight, works at the beginning but blinds at some level will eat you. And on the other hand, some call you with junk, with some times 4 of them in the pot and hit it. They simply have nothing to loose...

MY SOLUTION IS: over aggressive players=playing extra tight until 1000players are left

Old
Tue Feb 11, 2014, 10:43 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TrippyTricks!

If I'm going to take a chance in one, I want to do so with a premium, made, hand.... AA, KK or maybe QQ. Nothing less.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 12, 2014, 09:33 PM
(#5)
Thanks John,

I had a other thing bothering me, what to do when you have the best possible hand on the flop and someone puts you all in on a draw?

Could it be that you need to go all in before they do, or you need to bet enough to scare them? Some times no matter what you do when someone is playing with the all in strategy 90% of the time theres nothing you can do. (It's a bit destructive to play that way for both players.)

Old
Wed Feb 12, 2014, 09:36 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
HERE is a link to a blog that I think will help.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:39 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2014
GG Bro ..hahaha

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:45 AM
(#8)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Keep grinding.

Last edited by TommysgotAs; Sun Feb 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 05:38 PM
(#9)
Thanks guys! Good luck to you guys too.

By the way I just opened a new thread check it out and vote.

Vote: Open League Tournament Access to PokerSchool Members ONLY.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Members-ONLY.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com