Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Home Games /

Live MTT at my local pub

Old
Live MTT at my local pub - Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
Hey!
I was playing a live multi table tournament at my local pub and doing okay.

The blinds hit 2k/4k and I had about 21k.
I was under the gun and got A/K off.
Because I was shortest stack by far, I was wondering what the optimal move here was against donks.

What I did was, I shoved all in for 21k and got 3 callers. Brilliant.
The person who won called with a 7/2 off hit a 2.

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
really standard jam since you are shortstacked - you could go wider than AK here (depends on number of people on table and how likely they are to call you wide)

but id probably jam at least 66+ ATo+ KQs , the blinds are about to cripple you further and you need to chip up soon

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2014
They would've called me with anything. The moment I jammed 2 of the 3 people commented calling me really colorful names. All because I jammed Lol.
I kinda think that's why they called.

Thanks for the advice/comment, will look into widening my range a little.

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Instant jam for me. I'm open-jamming a stack of up to about 50k here. The smaller my stack is, the easier the decision to jam.

OBB's range is very similar to mine. I'd also include KJs, KQo and 55 to it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 03:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
There is an interesting dynamic that exists in live games where people are typically much more unaware of how their stack sizes and associate M number should influence how they play.

I know in my local games I see people limp/fold with 7BB or raise/fold preflop with 9BB, or they'll shove for 25BB with 66 because they don't want to see a flop.

The other thing with live games is that people take notice if you are loose and aggressive, they won't take as much notice if you're playing tight, unless you're playing really nitty and even then, it often doesn't make a difference as to how they play their hands.

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 03:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Instant jam for me. I'm open-jamming a stack of up to about 50k here. The smaller my stack is, the easier the decision to jam.

OBB's range is very similar to mine. I'd also include KJs, KQo and 55 to it.

John (JWK24)
50k would be a +ev jam yeah but sometimes id be minraising at 50k even utg, depends on table

Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
There is an interesting dynamic that exists in live games where people are typically much more unaware of how their stack sizes and associate M number should influence how they play.

I know in my local games I see people limp/fold with 7BB or raise/fold preflop with 9BB, or they'll shove for 25BB with 66 because they don't want to see a flop.

The other thing with live games is that people take notice if you are loose and aggressive, they won't take as much notice if you're playing tight, unless you're playing really nitty and even then, it often doesn't make a difference as to how they play their hands.
this is very true
hence in some spots (especially utg vs spew table) id be ok folding the weaker side of my shove range that on a tighter table would get through more easily
also on those spew tables you can often find a late position steal jam spot far more easily, since you will have dead money limp/folding and other such delights

the key is to know your opponents and know which ones to make the move against

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com