Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Confidence Gone

Old
Confidence Gone - Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

I consider myself a tight, positional player. I watch these guys who go in every hand with nothing win and take out guys with quality hands. They build up a huge stack and then become even more aggressive.
I sit there and get poor hands and then when I do get a hand worth playing in position I have someone come over top of me and put me all in and I usually loose to a worse hand.
Confidence gone.

Any suggestions as to how to get it back????????

Roger

Old
Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Patience and perseverance is the name of the game, keep playing your own game making the necessary adjustments in order to deal with the other players at the table.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:55 AM
(#3)
I understand what you are saying but when I get aggressive someone always comes over top of me and even when I have them dominated before the flop, I loose. I have been knocked out of at least six tournaments in the last week with pocket Aces. Hands like Ace 3 off suit have knocked me out.(the 3's hit the board). So when I get pocket K's or Q's which are good hands and when I know someone is playing a large range of hands I still get knocked out.

Today I watched one guy enter every hand with a large raise. When called he would continue his aggressive ways and continuation bet. When someone shoved on him he called with the suspected crap hand but would fish out on the turn and river to knock out the better hand and player. He had a large stack when I got moved to another table. These guys seem to have all the luck.

This has just ruined my playing. If it was working out evenly with some wins here and there I would be more confident.

The fun has gone out of the game for me now also. I take all the courses,,, read books,,,know how to recognize these guys, as they say these guys want to give you their chips, but the opposite has happened to me and they take my chips instead.

Thinking of leaving the poker and doing something else.

Roger

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRoger1xx View Post
I consider myself a tight, positional player. I watch these guys who go in every hand with nothing win and take out guys with quality hands.
Hi xxRoger1xx,

What type of games are you playing at the moment?

Do you play Open League or many low-limit tournaments or freerolls?

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:08 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Bad runs hurt our ego when we focus on hand results and not on the quality of our decisions. Think about minimizing your mistakes and exploiting your opponent's. You will never control another player's actions only yours. Don't fret about that which is out of your control.

Every mistake an opponent makes is an opportunity for you.

Good decisions.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
I'm probably one of the worst who takes it on the chin. I know I could be playing so much higher but I'm a nit and when I suffer a few losses I drop stakes or even play freerolls.

You should read "The Poker Mindset" or the "Mental Game of Poker" (I haven't read the latter but I will.)

When I suffer I:

Change games (I like Limit type games so I'll play 5 card draw for example)
Drop Stakes
Play Freerolls (but rarely on Pokerstars as there's no value.)
Change sites (I do this a lot)
Watch a video, read a blog or participate on a forum.
Take a break (there are days when I can't be annoyed playing so I do something else.)

Hope this is of some use to you.

BTW My bankroll on another site was triggered by losses on Stars (even though I know I'm profitable on Stars and variance happens.)

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:59 AM
(#7)
I play in the open league and low limit tourneys. Usually the 27 45 player sit and go's.

Roger

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 04:53 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2011
I think the type of games you're choosing to play make a lot of difference. If you like to play TAG only then avoiding turbos might be a good idea. The situation you described is very common in freerolls and micro mtts, gotta learn to live with it and keep playing correctly then over time you're results should be positive. If you lose even playing well then I think it shouldn't affect your confidence. Take notes on the bad plays and go on I guess. Good luck!

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 04:56 PM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
Bad runs hurt our ego when we focus on hand results and not on the quality of our decisions. Think about minimizing your mistakes and exploiting your opponent's. You will never control another player's actions only yours. Don't fret about that which is out of your control.

Every mistake an opponent makes is an opportunity for you.

Good decisions.
He had said everything already

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 08:03 PM
(#10)
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am reading the two books suggested by Ovalman. Thanks. I will continue to make my game better and not worry about the results. If I can just eliminate that one brain fart per game that I seem to have my game would be much better.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Instead of good luck to you......

May your hole cards always be category one and your game without flaws.

Roger

Old
Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:11 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRoger1xx View Post
I play in the open league and low limit tourneys. Usually the 27 45 player sit and go's.

Roger

Woo-hoo, my type of game. At the very low levels, I hear the play is much like chip action. Your tale about those luckmasters could come from me. What you need is the old confidence builder. Ask yourself just what is causing your losses.

Are your high hands, (group one and two) hands consistently getting busted? Do what I did and you might be surprised once you have stats for a hundred games. (if interested, search my handle for stats)

Is the river a killer? Keep a tally sheet and see how many hands are lost on the river. I'll bet you win an equal percentage, around 10 - 15% of your hands. Most of your hands are going to already have you as the winner or loser before the river.

Do your straights always run into flushes and your flushes into full boats? Keep a simple win-loss tally sheet for those hands. I'll bet you are winning more than you think.

Reason I say this is that human nature focuses on those hands your mind said must win and lose. Take this experiment. Recall the last time you lost pocket aces. If you're like most people, you can reconstruct the play card by card and player by player. Now reverse that question. Try to recall the last time you won with pocket aces. It is difficult. Your mind expects the win, so when it does, the win is dismissed. I have a feeling the same is true regarding these lucky donkeys. Do that as an experiment. Record where these lucky players finish. Just one per game. I'm betting far more crash and burn as make the money.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com