Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6max - Big stack bluff, river value 2 pair

Old
10NL 6max - Big stack bluff, river value 2 pair - Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:32 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

My bluff catching is not as good when I think of getting more value from a bluff.

It's a reversed line! If it was a bluff in the first place I'd never be called by betting 2 pair on the river in this hand.

A little confusion about what the villain is doing. The sole reads are: stack size, a profitable player in this pool starting with zoom 100bb max now 360bb, playing one table.

Can you guys work it out? Bully big stack, never calling any value I can get on the turn? So it must be TT/99 no worse or bluff will call a river bet?

Sorry, that made no sense at all.

I get lead into on the flop, I call. And again on the turn, I raise and get called. Getting a horrible feeling it's a set up on the river if I bet and being bluffed off my hand?

Last edited by ForrestFive; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: confused

Old
Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
Board is so drawy so when he calls your reraise on turn he probably has a ton of draws, I don't think he would flat a set here give board wetness and a very VERY small part of his range is flopped straight with KJ. He looks pretty weak on river so I would make a smallish bet like 1.50-2.20 see if we can get weaker queens and aces to pay off. Against a small check-raise I think we should call here as top 2 pair is very strong and we beat any 2 pairs he may have, but ofc we are beat by sets and KJ.

Last edited by pockettones; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 03:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
I think the turn is a bit thin given we have the Ac which will block a lot of his donking draws.

Not sure why we didn't bet river. I would bet at least $2.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Yes, I suppose after leading into us flop and turn (and calling turn raise) the villain appears to give up on the river. So looking like they want to show down now?

Betting river for value will not be called by worse so I'm thinking a bet without purpose. Probably over thinking, "What if we get shoved on?" I can't call! It would be quite an advanced bluff.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
I dont think many players half pot donk bet the flop with a very strong range here, so I would raise the flop to about 1.10 to charge his draws more heavily and fold to a reraise. As a little extra advantage you have the A of clubs here so he cant have the nut flush draw which should be pretty much the only draw he might reraise OTF.

As played the river is worth a value bet imo, he can always show up with some weirdly played hand OTR (as he did as well), so he might call you with some weirdly played AT or T9 or whatever :-). I would not be concerned of a XR bluff here OTR, that line is superrare especially on micros.

And by the way, I would be pretty surprised if the villain really is a profitable player as you described him, his line was pretty terrible and no reg would have ever made his preflop call.

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I would call turn mostly, but raising seems fine given that villain may be a weaker recreational player and call with a lot of draws/weaker hands here. However there is also merit to having him potentially fire off again OTR if you feel like he is the type. Your hand does look very strong on this board with a turn raise.

River would be a standard bet for me. I don't expect to get bluffraised after showing that much strength on a river that doesnt change much (KJ was already there) and could get us some herocalls from QJ/KQ or two pair type hands.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com