Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Early strategy

Old
Early strategy - Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
I had a guy tell me that in tournaments that you should play real loose and aggresive early because you will either build a bigger stack or bust out and this will save you from wasting your time because after the blinds go up for the third time if you are not in the top 25 percent in chips you do not have a shot anyway. I am new to all this and tomorrow I am playing in the share and win tournament and this seems to go against what I have learned so far in the courses I have taken. Any truth to what I was told? Thanks for any advice.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they said. Playing like a maniac is how to bust a bankroll.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
+1 with John.

Also think of it this way, the first 3 levels are around 30-45mins of a tournament right? Microstakes MTTs take anywhere between 6-10 hours to finish (this will never change), depending on the number of runners.

So actually, it's quite logical to see that you can NEVER EVER win a tourney in the first 30min, but you can DEFINITELY lose it by busting out in 30min or less.

Old
Thanks - Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:14 AM
(#4)
Thanks John for taking the time to give me your advice. As I stated I am new to this and hope my questions are not a total waste of your time. There seems to be alot of contradiction out there as to the proper style or procedure of play to each situation. I am going to stick with you guys as long as you let me keep asking my low poker IQ questions. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING, it is APPRECIATED.

Old
Thanks for the advice - Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:22 AM
(#5)
Your input is APPRECIATED. I am new to the whole tournament on line experience and seem to be getting alot of conflicting advice, and things I would normally accept as logical are not. THANKS again for taking the time to give your advice.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2013
The only case where this strategy has any merit is in the case of a freeroll.
if you open all-in with any top 25% cards early and if you get callers with sufficiently wide ranges you will in occasional games manage to build early a gigantic stack early. A good example are the 100K Priv freerolls.
When this happens start choosing your spots a bit. avoid other big stacks unless you have premiums but continue same game against the re-buying guys. As soon as rebuy period is over switch to normal tournament strategy.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:26 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
The only case where this strategy has any merit is in the case of a freeroll.
if you open all-in with any top 25% cards early and if you get callers with sufficiently wide ranges you will in occasional games manage to build early a gigantic stack early. A good example are the 100K Priv freerolls.
When this happens start choosing your spots a bit. avoid other big stacks unless you have premiums but continue same game against the re-buying guys. As soon as rebuy period is over switch to normal tournament strategy.
I tend to disagree,in most freerolls, including the School ones ( Or any leaderboard ones actually ) You should play like you play any other MTT's , The leaderboard freerolls are all about making it deep, so playing like a maniac early on will not profit you in the long run. And for all other ones, the 100K's included, rebuy'ing pretty much make them useless since you would then need to rank like top 25 to get back your money.

I would never advise anyone to be a loose maniac early in ANT MTT , establish an image, THEN loosen up a little in proper occasions.

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 09:31 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
There is a live training on Monday for MTT's

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/live-training

the title being Tight is Right

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com