Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AQ 25nl zoom 3bet pot, villian bet bet checks, best action?

Old
AQ 25nl zoom 3bet pot, villian bet bet checks, best action? - Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
Hi PSO,

vs 37/20/4.5 7.1 3bet 36 hands.

He was playing two tables and I couldn't decide at the time with those stats if he was aggro recreational or a regular.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (Button) ($25)
SB ($40.98)
BB ($30.71)
UTG ($22.02)
MP ($56.27)
CO ($25.52)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB raises to $2, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) 2, Q, 10 (2 players)
SB bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

Turn: ($8.75) 8 (2 players)
SB bets $4.25, Hero calls $4.25

River: ($17.25) 5 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

On the river, I wasn't sure if he would bet twice with worst Qs, I expect most regs to check KQ JQ flop or turn.

I don't know if he could check-call AA KK or stronger hands, on that coordinated board, that hits my 3bet calling range hard.

Whats is the best action, if you bet how much?

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
hey Carlos

I think we need to bet here.

If we think about our river range, we have a good deal of air. What hands are we going to balance that air with? Well AQ is near the top of that range. Only J9s, TT, T8s, and QTs are above it and you don't play every single one of those 4+3+2+2 (not many) combinations this way with call, call, call to the river.

I think you should shove. If you value shove his bluff-catching range surely is much wider than simply KK-AA. In fact I have to think KK-AA are his least likely bluff-catchers and instead he has a good deal of KQ/AQ of his own in that category. There just isn't enough reason, throwing balance out, to also think our hand isn't the best by a lot. He is an aggressive player and could certainly play Q9/QJ/KQ this way a huge variety of the time.

I like shoving as its unlikely to affect his propensity to call with KQ and we want to shove KJ and we get the monies. If he check-called here with AA, well, he lost value with his line when you check back KQ.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 01:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
I think he is more likely to be a reg than a fish with his sizing pre, i think he will just bet AA/KK on the river, not sure about AQ because theres not any hands you will call 3 barrels with vs an unknown i guess.

I doubt he will be calling a river bet seen as you probably raise all your sets on the turn and only bet the river with two pair/ AQ when you check call the turn so he will fold a river bet i reckon i doubt he will go for a x/r with anything and you dont know each other well enough for him to assume that you call wide enough on the BU to have stuff like KJss and bet the river when checked to for him to be able to get tricky with AA/KK and c/c.

I would bet like 9.50 and he might fold a chop or better still call with weak Qx that would be nice.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 01:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
hey Carlos

I think we need to bet here.

If we think about our river range, we have a good deal of air. What hands are we going to balance that air with? Well AQ is near the top of that range. Only J9s, TT, T8s, and QTs are above it and you don't play every single one of those 4+3+2+2 (not many) combinations this way with call, call, call to the river.

I think you should shove. If you value shove his bluff-catching range surely is much wider than simply KK-AA. In fact I have to think KK-AA are his least likely bluff-catchers and instead he has a good deal of KQ/AQ of his own in that category. There just isn't enough reason, throwing balance out, to also think our hand isn't the best by a lot. He is an aggressive player and could certainly play Q9/QJ/KQ this way a huge variety of the time.

I like shoving as its unlikely to affect his propensity to call with KQ and we want to shove KJ and we get the monies. If he check-called here with AA, well, he lost value with his line when you check back KQ.
I must be abit to nitty with my calls on the river then, if we expect him to call with weaker Qx to a shove shouldn't we never be shoving some missed draws then?

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 04:33 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Gotta shove this hand if we ever want to bluff this river.

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
Thanks Gareth and everyone, I checked back que had Q9s.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com