Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

500 to 20.000 ... is it possible?!!!

Old
500 to 20.000 ... is it possible?!!! - Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
Hi everyone,
I am new to the fomrum and I've been told it's had best poker community discussions ... so I will try to represent myself
I've been a recreational online poker player for about a year playing only freerolls ... I never made a deposite .. anyway yesterday I won about 550 in a freeroll on stars since then I been thinking if it's possible to get it to 20.000, I really want to know what you guys think and if you think it's possible and what best stakes I should be playing

P.S: I am an engineering student so I can't play more than an hour a day

thanks for your time

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It is possible, but will take a lot of time, hard work and studying. When playing, bankroll management is a big key, as you don't want to be taking chances with going bust. I normally play MTT's and SNG's and for those, I won't play anything that I don't have at least 100 buy-ins in my bankroll. For playing cash games, I always buy-in for the maximum and want to have at least 50 buy-ins in my bankroll, but am more comfortable with a much higher number. Everyone will hit downswings and I need to be able to account for these without busting my bankroll.

A goal like this will take a considerable amount of time, but can be done.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 19, 2014, 09:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi fyytu,

Welcome to the forum

Setting goals like this are great for motivation and the reward at the end would be in this case a lot of money :P but you can't think that this is going to just happen make 20k when you reach the end of the year if i play this many hands etc. you need to really work at your game to make this kind of challenge happen.

I would recommend first to look for other players online who have done similar challenges and succeeded and find out what it takes to make those goals.

Then i can think about what game i would want to be playing (cash, MT sng's, Turbo's etc)

Say i chose to play cash to try and make my goals, i would look into a lot of useful sources on this site, video's on here are great for getting started at 2nl and just reading through articles and in the forums is brilliant for improving your game.

From there on the best thing to do is just to start playing (probably the best way to learn) but make sure at first after every session you play you take any spots your not sure about an post them in the hand analysis forums, they are probably one of the most helpful tools here at PSO. You can have as many hands as you like reviewed by one of the live trainers here!

One last thing before you even start you need to learn good bankroll management, this is key, it's so easy to think when you start winning at one stake to move up right away but then variance hits and you've suddenly lost it all but if you look into the article ive linked below im sure you'll be fine.

Useful links -
Acoimbra Challenge Blog(might have to scroll down a wee bit)
Starter Cash video's
Starter sng video's
Hand analysis forums - Cash/Tournaments
Bankroll Management

Good Luck! Hope this helps,

Ads

Old
Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
In 2012, I went from $80 to $12,000
Followed 2013 to $50,000
So can it be done??? YES

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...777-2012-goals

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...484#post380484

Good Luck

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com