Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

staking section rule ammendment suggestion

Old
staking section rule ammendment suggestion - Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
Is it possible that a rule change could be considered for the staking section. Whereby any action where 100% is sold must include stakeback first. or something done which represents the risks involved in such arrangements.
PSO has one of the strictest staking sections around and the reasons for this are understood so it feels distasteful and perhaps not in the spirit of a place of learning that stakes can be offered where there is a possibility of the backer losing money and the horse making money, For anyone reading this who does not understand how that can happen.. please refer to recent blog staking 102.. it explains it much better than I ever could

offering to stake someone is not allowed here.. ok fair enough.
mobs crews/share swapping is not allowed .. ok fair enough.
but offering a stake where a backer can lose money but the horse profits.. is allowed??

I already avoid these types of offers as do many other people but take into account that many pso members might!! also be new and unfamiliar to the process, and less likely to understand this possibility than some others, It feels wrong imo and I would be interested to hear other peoples views on the subject and those of the pso moderation team.
thanks

Last edited by stix144; Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 04:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Hiya Stix,

I can see your point and I understand the reasoning for it.

Selling action is always a buyers market, so a seller can post a stake of any kind as long as it within the rules and if they sell it, then the market supports that.

We're not going to force anyone to sell action at 100% stake back or to invest a certain portion in to themselves.

If the members of PSO want this to be the norm, they will only invest in shares that meet these standards.

One of the things to remember is PSO is not a staking site.

When you invest your money in any way, it is always up to you to be sure your making a good investment whether it is in the stock market, staking, or any other venture. You must do your research and make your own decisions.

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 07:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2012
yer stix i was gonna say the same thing, but thought not to... i think its tottally unfair, but people will learn from their mistake, i for one would never back someone with 100% unless i was getting stakeback and a cut that was in my favour, as u are assuming all the risk...

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 07:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2014
Supply and Demand. It is the buyer's decision whether he invest or not. If he does not like the offer, simply do not invest it. That's how I feel :S

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:22 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO2COO View Post
Hiya Stix,

I can see your point and I understand the reasoning for it.

Selling action is always a buyers market, so a seller can post a stake of any kind as long as it within the rules and if they sell it, then the market supports that.

We're not going to force anyone to sell action at 100% stake back or to invest a certain portion in to themselves.

If the members of PSO want this to be the norm, they will only invest in shares that meet these standards.

One of the things to remember is PSO is not a staking site.

When you invest your money in any way, it is always up to you to be sure your making a good investment whether it is in the stock market, staking, or any other venture. You must do your research and make your own decisions.

Brian
On reflection.. To help people with their research. perhaps even something like a sticky thread explaining the more "technical" jargon involved in stakes would also serve a similar purpose in fulfilling the main objective behind my suggestion.. which was to protect anyone new to the process from becoming involved in something they didn't quite understand or misunderstood. And subsequently finding it out the hard way. (even though I do accept it could also be argued that it is the buyers responsibility to ask too.)

Especially since like you say pso is not a staking site and therefore the possibility of there being a higher % of people here who are not familiar with everything associated these arrangements is greater.

Just thinking out loud there of a way to help noobs without changing anything that exists already and on the whole I think you do a pretty good job of weeding out the people who are only looking for a free ride.
Thanks Brian

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:27 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznhaxor View Post
Supply and Demand. It is the buyer's decision whether he invest or not. If he does not like the offer, simply do not invest it. That's how I feel :S
supply and demand thats true and for as long as people are out there willing to supply something which is in someone elses favour.. Or unfamiliar enough to question it..
there will also always remain a steady stream of people willing to demand it :P

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666bonez187 View Post
yer stix i was gonna say the same thing, but thought not to... i think its tottally unfair, but people will learn from their mistake, i for one would never back someone with 100% unless i was getting stakeback and a cut that was in my favour, as u are assuming all the risk...
Cheers bonez, your right people will learn from their mistakes. I just noticed a few threads recently where the terms were explained in a way where it might have.. lets say.. encouraged those mistakes to occur and was really mainly only looking for a way to avoid that happening

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2012
Dave wrote two excellent blogs in recent time on the issue of staking.

All that would need to be done to educate people on terms etc. is for those to be linked to.

As for me personally, I am extremely selective with my staking. I think my last 4 or 5 staking adventures have included two people (hannyug and Gareth) because I will only take the risk now with proven horses. Generally my advice to anyone would be not to take a piece of anyone if they are selling more than 50% of themselves unlessey have a proven record of reliability.

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:35 PM
(#9)
Thank you very much Brian for adding those links to the sticky thread
As I eluded to in my OP I doubt many could have put it better than Dave did in those blogs.. props to the Langolier

Old
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:31 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
your welcome

that should help anyone who might not be up to par on staking

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com