Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL 10 SH - TPTK, bet super dry flop

Old
NL 10 SH - TPTK, bet super dry flop - Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP): $10 (100 bb)
CO: $16.01 (160.1 bb)
BTN: $25 (250 bb)
SB: $17.38 (173.8 bb)
BB: $36.44 (364.4 bb)
UTG: $12.53 (125.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A K
UTG raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, CO folds, BTN calls $0.90, SB calls $0.85, BB folds, UTG calls $0.60

Flop: ($3.82) 6 A 6 (4 players)
SB bets $0.60, UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.70, BTN folds, SB raises to $2.80, Hero calls $1.10

Turn: ($9.42) 5 (2 players)
SB bets $13.66 and is all-in, Hero calls $6.28 and is all-in

River: ($21.98) 2 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
Click to show hidden text

My inner fish at its best. I take it this is a fold to the 4bet on flop? Villain was 70/10. Also think I should have raised it up ore pre to 1-1.10 for value.

Old
Wed Feb 19, 2014, 02:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi pocket,

I agree on 3-betting larger for value and to isolate this guy better.

Post flop we have a very low stack to pot ratio, I think it's pretty hard to find a fold vs. a lunatic fish with our holding under these circumstances, but it seems to me that even willing to commit vs this guy specifically, our line leaves much to be desired.

His small flop donk bet is basically 1 of 3 things:

1. 6x+
2. Ax
3. Some type of silly random bluff/air

1. Yep, this is going to cost us, and with a big SPR and a willingness to commit, there's not a ton we can do about it. So we better make sure we do well in categories 2 & 3 to make up for the times we have to get shown the pain in category 1.

3. I'll skip to #3 next... if he's doing something random bluffy, raising gives him an opportunity to fold and denies him a chance to continue being silly on the turn. Since our holding is not vulnerable (pocket pairs have 2 outs, non paired silliness is drawing to runner runner) we'd rather not fold this category out.

2. Ax probably won't fold to our raise of course when this guy holds it, and while one might think that raising gets value from this category, it really doesn't... what I mean is it doesn't get us any extra value that we won't get later in the hand anyway. If we call flop there will be $5 in the pot and we'll have $8.50 behind, position, and 2 streets to go. Plenty of room to get the rest in by the river. And not being raised on the flop will embolden his Ax hands to do just that, eliminating any chance (no matter how small) that he folds them vs. a more aggressive line.

So I think calling the flop is superior to raising. It does the same vs. #2 and far, far better against #3.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com