Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE $3.50 9plyr SNG UTG2 wi 1010

Old
NLHE $3.50 9plyr SNG UTG2 wi 1010 - Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Normally I'd fold from this position. It's near the start of the game too but I decide to play and goes wrong. I get second place eventually but things could have been avoided. Any advice would be great on this.

I raise from early position to x4 BB hoping to minimize the callers but four people call my raise.
After the flop I think my hand is looking strong.
I assume the guy two away from me calls with a high pair 7 so when the next 7 comes I check and keep on checking through. He has nothing but the guy who goes all in beats me with a JJ.

Is my second raise after the flop too high? I did such a high pot raise because so far I thought I'd have the best hand and to avoid the AKJs coming up next I thought a high raise would make them fold but a low raise might make them call to see.
I also assumed that those who called my initial raise would not have chance of a straight as likely they wouldn't have called with low numbers in first place.
Also I thought that since there was no re raise on my initial bet, nobody had anything special like QQ KK.

When I check on the turn, the guy checks back. When the river comes i'm first to go again so I check. I'm still not sure if he has a 7.

Should I have made another small bet on the river?

Should I have checked after the flop to see what everybody else did first before pushing in such a high bet?

Would you play this hand?

Posting video here hope works

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
pre flop - the raise of 4x is perfect as there is one player who limped in

post flop - you raised a pot size bet out of position in a 5 way pot. if you are willing to bet more than 50% of your stack post flop you just have to shove it in and gamble. The board is very wet and you might get called by a drawing hand because of a big pot. But always be ready to lose because this is a 5 way pot. High variance play.

Good luck in your games

Old
. - Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:41 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thank you for your advice.
I find myself with confidence on the first couple of raises and then after that if everybody else calls it, I lose the confidence and start checking. I should just shove next time if I ever in this situation.

Old
Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Blackolden4

I like you raise sizing. I add on 1 big blind to the size of my raise for each limper which is what you seemed to have done here

Post flop fine but it is a little awkward because of everybody's stack to pot ratio. In a 5 handed pot where everybody has less than two times the size of the pot I would be happy to bet with the intention of getting it in versus one, and perhaps 2 opponents.

I would of preferred to of bet half the pot on the flop because at least we give ourselves a chance of getting away from the hand. If we made a standard c bet and then player 5 shoved, player 6 shoves, and player 7 called then we can fold the hand and still have 20+bb's.

As played we must shove all in on the turn. We are likely to have player 6 beaten and we don't want to give him a free card because there are a lot of draws in his range, and besides if he bet all in we wouldn't be folding anyway.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
. - Thu Feb 20, 2014, 04:01 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar

Thank you, some good advice to put into practice!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com