Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Rakeback

Old
Rakeback - Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Anybody able to explain rakeback for me please? I mean, I know I have heard about "rakeback sites" or whatever from time to time over the years. I guess the idea is that you get some money back of what you spend in rake, but it seems like there is not really anybody who just comes out and promotes it or anything so that makes me wonder if there is something sketchy about it.

I was under the impression that there are sites that are not the poker site you are playing on that pay rakeback for some reason. I don't know why they would do that, but I guess that's why I'm making this post asking about it. Are stellar rewards on Pokerstars considered to be a form of rakeback maybe?

Thanks

Old
Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
The term rakeback in the sense you mention does not apply to Pokerstars, but did apply to some sites (like old FT) and might still still apply to some other sites.

Basically the idea is that promoters that get you to sign up to some sites will earn a part of the rake you pay. Some of these promoters starting offering a part of this back to the players to induce them to sign up with them. this was mostly targeted towards high volume players (or big rake payers) to get this rakeback you needed to have signep up to said pokersite via these promoters.

In the context op Pokerstars, rakeback simply means the part of the rake that goes back towards the players via VIP program, Stellar Rewards and leaderboards. Not sure if overlays and freerolls should be counted in.

Old
Wed Feb 19, 2014, 09:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
Ahh, cool. That makes more sense now. Thanks!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com